Cellino must wait to hear verdict

Potential Leeds owner Massimo Cellino must wait to discover the outcome of his appeal to the Football League.

Last Updated: 31/03/14 at 18:58 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Premier League: Cesar Azpilicueta signs five-year deal with Chelsea

Post comment

Chelsea full-back Cesar Azpilicueta has been handed a new five-year deal by the Premier League leaders.

Transfer News: Celtic get SFA help over John Guidetti loan deal

Post comment

Scottish FA confirms it will apply to FIFA for an exception to help push through John Guidetti's loan move to Celtic.

All Articles

Massimo Cellino: Appeal judgement reserv

Massimo Cellino: Appeal judgement reserv

Massimo Cellino must wait a little longer before learning whether his appeal against the Football League board's decision to block his £25million takeover of Leeds has been successful.

The League disqualified Cellino, 57, from becoming owner or a director of the club last week following his recent conviction in a Sardinia court for tax evasion.

Cellino's legal representatives in London, Mishcon de Reya, lodged a formal appeal on Thursday on the grounds that the Italian businessman has appealed against that conviction and remains innocent in Italian law until the appeals process is completed.

The League claim Cellino's conviction bars him from taking control at Elland Road under its owners' and directors' test.

An independent QC heard both sides of the argument in London on Monday and requires more time to consider the case further.

A brief Football League statement read: "Massimo Cellino's appeal under The Football League's Owners' and Directors' Test has now concluded with the Independent QC reserving his judgment."

The independent QC's ruling could have serious ramifications for Leeds, who were unable to pay the players' wages in full on Friday.

Manager Brian McDermott, his backroom staff and players agreed to defer 50 per cent of their March salary until after the appeal had been heard.

Current owner Gulf Finance House Capital and Cellino are in dispute over who is responsible for the players' wages.

Bahrain-based investment firm GFH Capital claim Cellino is responsible for funding the club's running costs under the terms of the deal to sell him 75 per cent of the club's shares.

Contracts between GFH Capital and Cellino's company, Eleonora Sport, were exchanged on February 7, while the Italian is understood to have already invested around £10million in the club.

But Cellino refused to make further funds available last week following the League's refusal to allow his takeover and fans now fear the club is heading towards administration.


New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

England name team to face Norway and John Stones will start

John Stones has been named in England’s starting line-up for Wednesday night’s friendly against Norway.

International friendly: England v Norway preview

Team news for Wednesday's international friendly clash between England and Norway at Wembley (kick-off 8pm).

England captain Wayne Rooney 'looks chubby', says Norway's Vegard Forren

Norway defender Vegard Forren says England captain Wayne Rooney “looks a bit chubby”.

Mail Box

Reasons To Feel Positive At Spurs...

They didn't complete any big deals on deadline day, but that doesn't mean Spurs fans should be down about their hopes this season. Plus, United fans say farewelbz...

Danny Welbeck - Yes, No And Maybe

And understandably busy Mailbox with the instant reactions with those happy and sad on their club's transfer dealings. On Welbeck, Arsenal, United, Spurs and loans...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property