Man United face stiff competition for Ilkay Gundogan and also want Wesley Sneijder, Arsenal chase 'new Bergkamp' and...
UNITED WRITE TO WORRIED FANS
Manchester United have written to supporters to defend the club's transfer business in David Moyes' first window, which saw Marouane Fellaini become the manager's only signing of note and for £4million more than his expired release clause.
United failed with bids for Cesc Fabregas and Ander Herrera, while Thiago Alcantara opted to join Bayern Munich and Fabio Coentrao slipped through the net at the 11th hour owing to some missing paperwork.
'Now, the club have replied to fans who have written to them expressing their concerns over new manager David Moyes and his transfer policy,' report the Mirror.
'United's letters insist Sir Alex Ferguson's successor has a long-term plan and the full backing of its hierarchy and claim the club exceeded its usual transfer outlay this summer.'
'The United letter states: "The club had two main priorities for the transfer window. The first was to keep Wayne Rooney. He is a world-class player and the manager is very keen to have Wayne as a key part of the club's drive to retain the Premier League trophy. That aim was fulfilled.
"The second priority was to add a midfield player, and the capture of Fellaini has met that need.
"Add to that the fact that Wilfried Zaha is a new signing and that the manager has added the highly-rated young player Adnan Januzaj to the squad and the team does in fact have a different feel to it than the one that finished last season.
"The club has invested over £40m acquiring new players this summer, as well as re-signing Nani on a long term deal - more than it has traditionally spent on transfers.
"The club has always backed the manager in the transfer market, as Sir Alex has said on many occasions and it will continue to do so. The club has demonstrated its belief in, and commitment to, David Moyes through the award of a six-year contract.
"Allowing him to shape the future Manchester United team is a long term project not an eight-week panic. He must be given time to assess his new squad and come to his own decisions on which players he feels will strengthen it."
BORINI AGENT RUES LIVERPOOL MOVE
Fabio Borini's agent believes the striker should have stayed at Roma last season instead of joining Liverpool in a £10.5million deal.
Borini, who is now at Sunderland on a season-long loan, struggled with injuries in his first year at Anfield and scored only two goals in 20 matches for the Reds.
"I think Fabio would have been the ideal player for (former Roma coach Zdenek) Zeman last year," Borini's agent Marco De Marchi told Radio Mana Mana.
"But the decision was made to leave Roma. Of course, it all happened very quickly and there was no chance to talk with the coach.
"But having said that, I still think Roma would have been the right team for Fabio."
Borini's Liverpool future could look even bleaker if the Reds follow up their interest in giant Anzhi Makhachkala striker Lacina Traore.
The 23-year-old Ivory Coast international has been linked with Juventus and Galatasaray, but according to the Express, Liverpool are also thought to 'hold a long-standing interest in Traore, who scored 12 goals in 24 games for Anzhi last season'.
However: 'Whether they have either the desire or the means to compete for the player's signing in January, particularly given the clubs impressive start to the season, remains to be seen.'
UNITED'S JANUZAJ FEARS & LINGARD TO LEAVE ON LOAN
After impressing in Manchester United's pre-season tour of Asia, Jesse Lingard has emerged as a loan target for Birmingham, according to the Daily Mail.
Lingard scored twice for United's Under-21s on Tuesday in a 4-1 win over Bolton and it's thought that David Moyes is planning to let the 20-year-old follow Nick Powell in a temporary switch to the Championship.
Meanwhile, the Mail continue the line that United are growingly increasingly concerned about Adnan Januzaj's links to Man City.
'Moyes is in danger of losing top prospect Adnan Januzaj to Manchester City,' the paper claim.
'The brilliant teenage midfield prospect has been involved in a contract wrangle with Manchester United that has dragged on nearly six months.
'City have been alerted to the stand-off and are ready to launch a raid that would infuriate Old Trafford and overshadow even the furore over United's failings in the summer transfer window.
'Januzaj, 18, is out of contract at the end of this season and has so far refused a new deal, despite negotiations beginning last April.'
AND THE REST
Romelu Lukaku reckons Everton will be the perfect launchpad for him to show Jose Mourinho that he is the real deal...Demba Ba admits he has flopped since getting his dream move to Chelsea...Jermain Defoe has blasted Andre Villas-Boas for dumping Emmanuel Adebayor...Barnsley want to sign Hull striker Matt Fryatt on loan...QPR goalkeeper Julio Cesar has been told he won't feature at all this season after failing to secure a move away from Loftus Road in the summer...Paolo Di Canio is battling a vendetta against his Sunderland reign, according to midfielder Craig Gardner...Leicester boss Nigel Pearson is snapping up striker Gary Taylor-Fletcher...Leicester have signed Poland international defender Marcin Wasilewski on a one-year deal.
If you believe any of that tripe from united, ive got a childrens story book ive just published and would love to sell you- the neillnova