Cardiff City Stadium

Next Game

Wales v Bos & Herz

Friday, 10 October 2014, 19:45

European Qualifiers Group B

Last Game

Andorra 1 - 2 Wales

Tuesday, 09 September 2014, 19:45

European Qualifiers Group B

Coleman unsure on Wales deal

Chris Coleman has thrown his Wales future into doubt again after claiming he is prepared to walk away from a new deal.

Last Updated: 04/10/13 at 12:38 Post Comment

Chris Coleman: May not sign new Wales deal

Chris Coleman: May not sign new Wales deal

More of the games that matter

2 years free Sky Broadband Unlimited for Sky Sports customers

Prior to last month's World Cup qualifiers against Macedonia and Serbia, Coleman had agreed terms on a further two-year stint in charge.

But back-to-back defeats, which saw Wales slump to the bottom of Group A, mean the deal remains unsigned.

Football Association of Wales chief executive Jonathan Ford recently suggested results in the upcoming qualifiers against the Macedonians and Belgium will be taken into consideration before anything is finalised.

Coleman, who claimed judging him on two games was an example of short-termism, suggested he was no longer certain he would sign the contract himself, having held a meeting with FAW chiefs on Monday.

"The contract is still there, it has not been signed, ideally it would have been," he said.

"I have seen comments that I will be judged going into these games. If that's the case, that's not right, surely it has got to be about the bigger picture, but it's not right to sign the contract now."

He added: "We spoke on Monday at length but more on how it had gone in the campaign, what my experiences were, stuff going forward for the next campaign. What we want to be doing. No targets were set.

"The perception now is not good. If we beat Macedonia, everything will be rosy.

"People outside might say 'well Chris can sign the contract now', but maybe I won't.

"I don't know looking at it myself. I'm going 'Can I do what I really want to do? Can I achieve the success I am desperate for the country to achieve?'"

Collins confusion

Coleman also used the announcement of his squad to stand firm on the issues surrounding James Collins' no-show for last month's fixtures.

Following Wales' 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Serbia, Coleman criticised Collins, claiming the centre-half had turned down the chance to join up with the squad.

Collins responded with a statement in which the 30-year-old insisted he would not have turned down the chance to represent his country, and he had not heard from the FAW about a potential call-up.

However, Coleman rubbished that suggestion, and clarified Collins had been invited to join the squad, having missed out on the initial selection, prior to the game in Macedonia, and not just for the Serbia fixture.

"He wasn't in the initial squad. We called him up because we had a pull-out. I sent a message through (FAW international secretary) Mark Evans and he refused to be considered for the squad," said Coleman.

"I called James up and he told me mentally he wasn't in the right frame of mind to come because he felt he should have been in the initial squad. I told him my disappointment on that.

"After that, we contacted him on the Sunday (between the Macedonia and Serbia games), we contacted him at 3pm.

"We got a call back at 8pm on the Monday night. James said his phone was broke or someone dropped the phone in water. That's what happened.

"Unless I was speaking to the wrong person when I called him up, and unless someone contacted our secretary Mark and it wasn't James, then I can't say anything else."

More of the games that matter

2 years free Sky Broadband Unlimited for Sky Sports customers

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

W

hen players in their 30s leave Real Madrid, it's usually to Bolton Wanderers. I miss those days.

sailingmagpie
Top Ten CL Players Whetting Our Appetite

W

ow Pete, you would make an excellent stalker!

fouloleron
Taking A Close Look At Mario...

T

his specializing in mediocrity will only stop when Wenger and his entire back room staff are cleared out. Dortmund are everything Arsenal should be; in fact they're everything Arsenal thought they were, until they met this supreme doppelg nger.

dr soccer
The Bitter Taste Of Arsenal Déjà Vu

Footer 365

Kagawa: My heart stayed in Dortmund

Shinji Kagawa admits life at Manchester United was "particularly difficult", but the playmaker says his heart was always at Borussia Dortmund.

Championship news: Cardiff boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer set to leave club

Cardiff boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer appears set to leave the club following talks over his future, Sky sources understand.

Championship: Alex Tettey has signed a new two-year deal with Norwich City

Alex Tettey has signed a new two-year deal with Norwich City, with the option to extend for a further year.

Mail Box

I've Given It Some Thought: He's Got To Go

There is some more considered reaction to Arsenal and Liverpool's results, plus a big get well soon message for Jonas Gutierrez. And an apology to Merse...

B**locks To That, I'm Going To Sit In The Shed

Arsenal supporters given their understandable reaction to the debacle in Dortmund, whilst Liverpool fans weren't too impressed either. Still, at least they won...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property