Old Trafford

Next Game

Man Utd v West Ham

Saturday, 27 September 2014, 15:00

Barclays Prem

Upton Park

Last Game

West Ham 3 - 1 Liverpool

Saturday, 20 September 2014, 17:30

Barclays Prem

Coleman unsure on Wales deal

Chris Coleman has thrown his Wales future into doubt again after claiming he is prepared to walk away from a new deal.

Last Updated: 04/10/13 at 12:38 Post Comment

Chris Coleman: May not sign new Wales deal

Chris Coleman: May not sign new Wales deal

More of the games that matter

2 years free Sky Broadband Unlimited for Sky Sports customers

Prior to last month's World Cup qualifiers against Macedonia and Serbia, Coleman had agreed terms on a further two-year stint in charge.

But back-to-back defeats, which saw Wales slump to the bottom of Group A, mean the deal remains unsigned.

Football Association of Wales chief executive Jonathan Ford recently suggested results in the upcoming qualifiers against the Macedonians and Belgium will be taken into consideration before anything is finalised.

Coleman, who claimed judging him on two games was an example of short-termism, suggested he was no longer certain he would sign the contract himself, having held a meeting with FAW chiefs on Monday.

"The contract is still there, it has not been signed, ideally it would have been," he said.

"I have seen comments that I will be judged going into these games. If that's the case, that's not right, surely it has got to be about the bigger picture, but it's not right to sign the contract now."

He added: "We spoke on Monday at length but more on how it had gone in the campaign, what my experiences were, stuff going forward for the next campaign. What we want to be doing. No targets were set.

"The perception now is not good. If we beat Macedonia, everything will be rosy.

"People outside might say 'well Chris can sign the contract now', but maybe I won't.

"I don't know looking at it myself. I'm going 'Can I do what I really want to do? Can I achieve the success I am desperate for the country to achieve?'"

Collins confusion

Coleman also used the announcement of his squad to stand firm on the issues surrounding James Collins' no-show for last month's fixtures.

Following Wales' 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Serbia, Coleman criticised Collins, claiming the centre-half had turned down the chance to join up with the squad.

Collins responded with a statement in which the 30-year-old insisted he would not have turned down the chance to represent his country, and he had not heard from the FAW about a potential call-up.

However, Coleman rubbished that suggestion, and clarified Collins had been invited to join the squad, having missed out on the initial selection, prior to the game in Macedonia, and not just for the Serbia fixture.

"He wasn't in the initial squad. We called him up because we had a pull-out. I sent a message through (FAW international secretary) Mark Evans and he refused to be considered for the squad," said Coleman.

"I called James up and he told me mentally he wasn't in the right frame of mind to come because he felt he should have been in the initial squad. I told him my disappointment on that.

"After that, we contacted him on the Sunday (between the Macedonia and Serbia games), we contacted him at 3pm.

"We got a call back at 8pm on the Monday night. James said his phone was broke or someone dropped the phone in water. That's what happened.

"Unless I was speaking to the wrong person when I called him up, and unless someone contacted our secretary Mark and it wasn't James, then I can't say anything else."

More of the games that matter

2 years free Sky Broadband Unlimited for Sky Sports customers

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

H

e deserved respect for forging a successful football career despite being, clearly, made from balsa wood.

Nutboy
Wenger: Diaby deserves respect

L

iverpool should put in a bid for Barkley. As cheeky as it may sound, only he looks capable enough to replace Gerrard.

paulay8
Gerrard's Decay Becoming Sadly Apparent

M

y emotions were not mixed. Super professional that he is. I will never look at you the same way Frank. Love affair over.

gittoplo
Lampard: Mixed emotions

Footer 365

Capital One Cup Live

Live updates from the Capital One Cup third round as well as the latest news and views from the world of sport.

Scottish football: Former Celtic striker John Divers has died aged 74

Former Celtic striker John Divers has died. He was 74.

Mauricio Pochettino wants Tottenham to be positive against Nottingham Forest

Mauricio Pochettino feels Tottenham need to change their mentality after the defeat by West Brom.

Mail Box

Is Moyes The Big Winner This Season?

Man United and Everton are making David Moyes look good enough for Newcastle. We have lots of mails on Steven Gerrard but mostly Man United and Van Gaal...

Should Gerrard Play Further Forward?

That's one shout in a mailbox that recalls Rafa Benitez saying the Liverpool man would one day end up as a striker. Plus, thoughts on Rooney and 500 words on Ipswich...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property