Ajax explain why they will sell Man United, Chelsea targets

Date published: Saturday 9th May 2020 11:06

Ajax have confirmed that Manchester United target Donny van de Beek is one of three players they will make available this summer.

Manchester United have been monitoring developments with regards to Van de Beek’s future throughout the season.

Real Madrid were thought to be favourites to sign the midfielder but may no longer be in a position to afford him, making Manchester United primary contenders.

Ajax chief executive Edwin van der Sar has, however, warned the likes of his former club that “there won’t be a 50 per cent discount” on any players due to the global pandemic.

But Van de Beek, along with Chelsea goalkeeper target Andre Onana and left-back Nicolas Tagliafico, will be made available after the club promised to reassess their stance if they stayed for one more campaign last summer.

“Last year, we made verbal agreements with Onana, Tagliafico and Van de Beek to stay another season, and then we look to help each other and find the next step in their careers. Nothing has changed,” Van der Sar told Reuters.

“There won’t be a 50 per cent discount. The clubs can forget about that.

“In January last year, people said we were going to lose seven or eight players but we lost only two key members.

“The big clubs such as Bayern Munich have said the benchmark fee will go down in the next few transfer windows. But it’s easier for them to say because they are the buyers.

“Of course, the 150m-200m euros transfers are gone. But I think there is still a lot of value for players who come from Ajax: Well educated, experienced in winning and playing European football.”

We could not keep away from the camera for long so we made a Football365 Isolation Show. Watch it, subscribe and share until we get back in the studio/pub and produce something a little slicker…

More Related Articles