Allardyce dropped £27m striker because of poor hold-up play

Date published: Sunday 4th February 2018 10:31

Sam Allardyce is not playing new Everton signing Cenk Tosun because his “hold-up play” is not good enough.

Tosun joined Everton from Besiktas in January, with the striker starting his first two games at the club.

But he was left on the bench for the victory over Leicester last month, and played just 12 minutes of the 5-1 defeat to Arsenal on Saturday.

Allardyce says that the Turkish international is still acclimatising to the Premier League.

“He’s had service to him that he’s not held up and he’s found it a bit of a struggle at this level because of the pace and the physicality of the game,” he said.

“So his service hasn’t been too bad but his hold-up play hasn’t been like it was at Besiktas so that’s why he’s not starting the games at the minute because he’s finding it tough going like every player does, particularly when they come in January.

“I said we wanted goals, he scored goals in the Champions League and with Besiktas but may not hit the ground running for us. He hasn’t done that yet, I’m sure he will do eventually.

“I’m more concerned about the other players than I am about Cenk. I’m more likely to feed him slowly and give him a bit more time over the next few weeks and hopefully by the end of the season he starts games.”


More Related Articles