Chelsea defender Cesar Azpilicueta has signed a new three-and-a-half-year deal that keeps him at Stamford Bridge until 2020.
The 27-year-old joined the Blues in August 2012 from Marseille and has since made 199 appearances, scoring four goals in the process.
Having originally been used at right-back, the Spaniard switched to left-back in 2013 and under Antonio Conte’s 3-4-3 formation he has changed position again, this time operating on the right-hand side of a back three.
“I’m really happy to have signed a new contract,” Azpilicueta told Chelsea’s official website. “Since I arrived here my target was to progress as a player and win trophies. This new contract gives me the chance to continue my relationship with the club, that’s what I wanted and obviously I’m really happy here.
— César Azpilicueta (@CesarAzpi) December 13, 2016
“We’ve had some really good moments so far this season. From day one, we started working very hard. We have a new manager with new ideas and I’m really happy to be working with him. Obviously we can still improve but the long-term aim for us is to win trophies, that is what we all want, the players, manager and fans.”
Technical director Michael Emenalo said: “We are delighted Cesar has chosen to extend his stay with us. Since he arrived four years ago he has proved himself to be an excellent professional and a top player, which he shows in every single training session and match.
“Cesar wasted no time in adopting the Chelsea mentality and spirit, and anybody who has met him will have seen his incredible and undiluted commitment to the Chelsea cause.”