Barcelona have informed Ousmane Dembele that “he has to leave immediately” amid reports linking him with Newcastle United and Man Utd.
The Frenchman is out of contract in the summer and he has been linked with a move away in recent weeks. Newcastle and Man Utd are among those said to be interested in him.
After impressing for Borussia Dortmund, the 24-year-old joined Barcelona in 2017 for an initial fee of €105m plus add-ons.
The winger has been impacted by injuries over the past couple of years and he has only played six times in La Liga so far this season.
Speaking earlier this week, Barcelona boss Xavi admitted that Dembele may leave the club before the end of the month:
“We can’t wait for Ousmane. Or renews the contract or a solution to sell him must be found immediately. I don’t consider sending him to stands. He says he wants to stay but then he doesn’t sign.
“The message is clear. Ousmane Dembele has to sign a new contract or we find a way to sell him in January. No other way. I also wonder about agent is talking the way he is and Dembélé, on the other hand, telling me he wants to stay. I can’t understand.”
Barcelona’s director Mateu Alemany has provided an update regarding Dembele’s situation. As quoted by Fabrizio Romano, he has revealed that “it is clear” that Dembele wants to leave so they will look to sell him this month:
“It’s clear that Dembélé does NOT want to continue with Barcelona. He doesn’t want to be part of our project.
“We told Dembélé he has to leave immediately. We expect Ousmane to be sold before Jan 31.”
Manchester United were in action on Wednesday night as they faced Thomas Frank’s Brentford.
Ralf Rangnick’s side were far from their best as they were fortunate to go into the break level.
But they punished Brentford for their missed chances as they ended up winning 3-1.
Cristiano Ronaldo was subbed off during the second half and he was angry to be substituted. Rangnick said post-match that the striker’s reaction was “normal”.