Aymeric Laporte has confirmed he is leaving Manchester City, who have been boosted by Bernardo Silva signing a new contract.
Bernardo Silva has committed his future to Manchester City after he signed a new contract with the club until 2026.
Silva has again been linked with a summer switch away from the Etihad Stadium, with Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain reportedly chasing his signature for a number of years.
The Portugal international has ended speculation over his future for now by signing a new deal after his previous terms were due to expire in 2025.
“I’ve had six incredible years at Manchester City and I’m delighted to extend my time here,” Silva said.
“I am going into my seventh season at City. Since I arrived, I can only remember one season where we weren’t successful, so to be here until now meant trophies, meant winning a lot and I like to win. It is good to win.
“It is not easy to be a winning team. It is a very good feeling and I wanted to keep it that way.
“It has been a dream in terms of what we have achieved, the prospects of what we can still do. In six years, we have won five Premier Leagues, one Champions League and all of the cups. I couldn’t have it much better to be honest.
“What we achieved last season is something unique and we are going to try and grab that opportunity again this season.
“We heard that four in a row was never done in the Premier League before, so we want to try that because it is so tough.”
Silva joined City in 2017 and while he has been integral to their success under Pep Guardiola, he has often been linked with a move away from England.
He expressed a desire to leave two summers ago – the same transfer window Jack Grealish arrived in a £100million move – but decided to stay.
It was a similar story ahead of the 2022-23 campaign, with Paris St Germain and Barcelona chasing his signing, but Silva again remained and made 55 appearances during their treble-winning season.
City director of football Txiki Begiristain was thrilled to keep the 29-year-old.
“Bernardo has been exceptional during his time at the Etihad, so we’re delighted that he has signed a contract extension with the club,” he said.
“His quality and technical ability is fantastic – and alongside his hard work and professionalism, he has become one of the best players in the world.
“Bernardo was so important in our treble-winning season and we are sure he can help deliver even more trophies in the next few years.”
Silva has missed City’s last two matches with a minor injury but is expected to return for the trip to Sheffield United on Saturday.
Meanwhile, Aymeric Laporte has confirmed he will be leaving the club this summer.
Laporte has reportedly agreed to join Al-Nassr after five-and-a-half-years in England.
The Spain international will become the latest high-profile player to sign for a Saudi Pro League club, with ex-City team-mate Riyad Mahrez among them after making the move to Al-Ahli last month.
“Dear Cityzens, today I wanted to share a story with you,” Laporte said in a video on Twitter that went on to show a highlights reel of his time at Man City.
“This is now our history. Thank you and see you really soon.”
Centre-back Laporte added in his social-media post: “It has lasted for five-and-a-half unforgettable years.
“Plenty of memories that I will keep forever close to my heart.”
Laporte will leave the Etihad after making 180 appearances for City, with his last outing for the club off the bench during their opening-day Premier League win at Burnley.
After being restricted to a place among the substitutes for the Community Shield defeat to Arsenal and the UEFA Super Cup triumph over Sevilla, he was absent from the matchday squad for last weekend’s win over Newcastle.
The arrival of Josko Gvardiol from RB Leipzig has further pushed Laporte down the pecking order at City.
A powerful recruitment drive by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund has seen Saudi Pro League teams – all PIF-owned – sign a plethora of the world’s best players this summer.
Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema, N’Golo Kante, Roberto Firmino, Jordan Henderson have all swapped the Premier League for the division in the Middle East during the past 12 months.
Laporte will now do the same after winning 13 trophies during his time at City, including five Premier League titles and last season’s Champions League.