Bournemouth 3-3 Everton: That was bloody mental

Date published: Saturday 28th November 2015 6:05

Bournemouth secured a 3-3 draw with Everton after an absolutely batsh*t mental final 20 minutes at the Vitality Stadium.

Ramiro Funes Mori headed the Toffees into a first-half lead on 25 minutes for his first goal since signing for the club in the summer.

Romelu Lukaku then scored his sixth goal in five Premier League games, latching onto an excellent Gerard Deulofeu pass before firing a finish past Bournemouth keeper Adam Federici.

Adam Smith sparked an incredible final 10 minutes, striking a wonderful long-range effort in the 80th minute to claw one back for the hosts, with Junior Stanislas finishing from close range to equalise seven minutes later.

Ross Barkley then seemingly broke Bournemouth hearts in the fifth minute of stoppage time, sliding a loose ball under Ryan Allsop, with visiting support invading the pitch as a result.

But Bournemouth secured a remarkable point three minutes later, with Stanislas heading past Tim Howard to spark delirious scenes among the home fans.

Bournemouth climb up to 18th but remain in the relegation zone with the point gained, though more crucially they recovered the sense of momentum that began with their recent improved performances in the 1-0 defeat by Newcastle and the 2-2 draw at Swansea. Everton manager Roberto Martinez will no doubt reflect on a wasted opportunity, when his side should have secured a convincing victory and strengthened their challenge for the top four.

It had earlier appeared that Bournemouth’s finest chance perhaps came and went as early as the third minute. Stanislas created space on the left before finding Dan Gosling in the penalty area, but despite being well-positioned to give his side the lead, the midfielder connected poorly with Stanislas’ ball and sent his shot wide of the target.

Bournemouth’s Eddie Howe had spoken in the week of his admiration for Everton’s Martinez and of his determination to persevere with his team’s attractive, passing philosophy.

There is much to be said for a manager who remains confident in his beliefs, but throughout the first half their gameplan appeared to represent a significant risk, and so it swiftly proved.

From a relatively aimless cross and under minimal pressure, Simon Francis inexplicably headed the ball to Arouna Kone instead of goalkeeper Federici, and was fortunate that the Australian saved Kone’s near-post shot instead of watching Everton take the lead.

He was equally fortunate that from the resultant corner Federici produced an equally impressive save from a powerful Lukaku header, but with Bournemouth’s defence far from resounding, the visitors soon took the lead.

After another corner and from Barkley’s 25th-minute cross, Funes Mori headed his first goal for the club since his £9.5million summer arrival into the top left corner beyond Federici

Further pressure followed, and within 11 minutes Everton went 2-0 ahead. With possession on the right wing, Deulofeu played a through-ball to Lukaku who, with the classiest of touches, teed himself up to powerfully finish inside Federici’s near, right post.

Bournemouth improved after half-time against their relaxed opponents, but despite further efforts on goal they failed to truly threaten until Smith scored, seemingly from nowhere.

Producing an outstanding 80th-minute finish from the edge of the area off the post, the substitute raised hopes of a comeback that Stanislas, in the 87th minute, appeared to have completed.

The impressive Joshua King found Stanislas free in the penalty area, and from in front of goal the forward shot into the top right corner to make it 2-2.

With Bournemouth close to securing the point their efforts deserved, more poor defending again gifted Everton the lead when possession was conceded and, from close range, Seamus Coleman found Barkley to finish.

In the eighth minute of stoppage time, and with defeat appearing inevitable, Charlie Daniels sent a hopeful cross into the box and, incredibly, Stanislas reached it to head in and seal a 3-3 draw.

More Related Articles