Burnley 1-2 Brighton: Maupay helps mount Seagulls comeback

Jason Soutar
Neal Maupay

Brighton came from behind to defeat Burnley 2-1 at Turf Moor in their opening match of the Premier League season.

The first competitive match at the ground with no restriction on attendance since March 2020 saw plenty of noise generated by the crowd as kick-off approached – including some boos as players took the knee, as well as applause.

Then Burnley fans were cheering within moments of the contest getting underway after James Tarkowski sent Ashley Westwood’s corner past Robert Sanchez.

Can Solskjaer enact stage two of Neville prophecy?

Brighton protested that Tarkowski had fouled Neal Maupay before heading in, the pair having collided as the Burnley defender moved towards the goal and Maupay ended up on the turf, but the effort was allowed to stand following a VAR check.

The hosts subsequently picked up two bookings in quick succession, with yellow cards being shown to Gudmundsson for a challenge on Yves Bissouma, and Tarkowski after another coming-together with Maupay, which resulted in a free-kick that Solly March sent into Nick Pope’s arms.

Johann Berg Gudmundsson then almost made it 2-0 in the 19th minute when his low strike come back off the post.

Another Tarkowski-Maupay challenge led to a booking for the Brighton striker, before Jay Rodriguez’s shot brought a save out of Sanchez.

Burnley then went close to doubling their lead again in the 36th minute as skipper Mee headed against the bar and the ball bounced down on the line, with Tarkowski firing over on the follow-up.

At the other end, Shane Duffy headed over and England international Nick Pope had little trouble catching an acrobatic attempt by Maupay.

The opening stages of the second half saw a Maupay shot deflect off-target and Gudmundsson curl a free-kick wide.

Rodriguez going down in the box under the attentions of Duffy sparked penalty calls from Burnley that were waved away by referee David Coote, and Leandro Trossard then lofted an attempt wide of Pope’s goal just prior to the hour mark.

After Chris Wood saw a shot deflect behind, Brighton boss Graham Potter made a change by bringing on Moder for Steven Alzate – and the substitute had a near-immediate impact, sending a cross in from the right that the sliding Maupay converted to draw things level.

Moments later, Potter then saw another substitution swiftly pay off as his side grabbed the lead, with Mac Allister, sent on for Trossard soon after the equaliser, slotting past Pope from Pascal Gross’ delivery.

Burnley subsequently pushed for a leveller in vain, while a late Gross attempt looked like it could be heading in before Tarkowski made the clearance.