Chelsea blockbuster deal now ‘facing collapse’ after £80m rejection that will leave Pochettino fuming

Ben Stewart
Mauricio Pochettino during his first press conference as Chelsea manager.
Mauricio Pochettino has failed to inspire an upturn in form and results at Chelsea.

Chelsea’s move for Moises Caicedo is on the verge of collapse according to a recent report as Brighton have rejected their latest bid.

Mauricio Pochettino’s side have been battling for Caicedo’s signature all summer, but they have been unsuccessful so far.

Chelsea have already agreed personal terms with the 21-year-old, but they are yet to strike an agreement with Brighton.

After Chelsea’s latest bid of around £80m was rejected, the deal is now in jeopardy according to a recent report.

Football Insider have claimed that the deal is now ‘facing collapse’ as talks between the two clubs have stalled.

This will come as a huge blow to Chelsea as they have been long-term admirers of the Ecuador international.

Brighton are still holding out for around £100m and they don’t seem willing to budge on this valuation. Caicedo is contracted with the club until 2027, having signed a new deal earlier in the year.

Fabrizio Romano even insisted that Chelsea are still keeping tabs on Romeo Lavia’s situation as they struggle to find much wriggle room with Brighton.

“On Thursday morning Chelsea submitted a new official bid to Brighton for Moises Caicedo: £80m. This was the package proposed by Chelsea, which included add-ons, but £80m fee,” Romano told Caught Offside.

“From what I’m told, after a few minutes Brighton immediately decided to reject the proposal. They want way more than this so at the moment there has been no agreement for Caicedo.

“Chelsea are trying again, I always said the negotiation is ongoing and this is my information – that the negotiations are not stalling now, nothing is off.

“What I can confirm is that Caicedo is pushing to go to Chelsea but of course Brighton’s position is they want big money, and with Chelsea, their position is they don’t want to overpay.

“It’s also important to say that as of today – as we see around in the English press – that Chelsea are also looking at some alternatives. This is absolutely normal. They always do this, top clubs in general.

“They have a top target and they have some alternatives. I always told you that Chelsea are keeping an eye on the situation of Romeo Lavia but Liverpool are ahead in this race at the moment.”

Chelsea will be desperate to find a solution to their midfield problem as soon as possible. With just two weeks until the new Premier League campaign, time is running out.

READ MORE: Summer transfer window 2023: Chelsea clear as the biggest-earning European club