Conte quizzed on Man United pair after taking Inter job

Date published: Friday 31st May 2019 9:31

Former Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has been appointed head coach at Inter Milan, the Serie A side have announced.

The 49-year-old returns to management having been sacked by the Blues at the end of the 2017-18 season.

“A new chapter in my life is beginning, I’m really excited,” said Conte on Inter’s official website.

“Through my work, I’ll try to repay all of the trust that the president and directors have placed in me.

“I have chosen Inter because of the club it is, because of the project’s sound basis and how ambitious it is. Because of Inter’s history.

“I was struck by the club’s transparency and the desire to bring Inter back to where it belongs.”

The Times are certain that Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku will be one of Conte’s first transfer targets, considering the Italian tried to sign him while he was in charge at Chelsea.

Lukaku’s United teammate Alexis Sanchez has also been linked, with BBC World Service wasting no time in asking Conte about the pair.

“I think now it’s very difficult to talk about this,” he said.

“For sure, we have a plan to try to improve the team. But it will be very important for the players, it will be very important to have a great will and great ambition, me, the players and the club, to try to reduce this gap.”

Quizzed directly about whether Inter had already met with Lukaku, Conte replied: “No, that’s not right. But I repeat in this moment there is a sporting director to talk about this and do this question about the transfer market, about the players. But I repeat, now we are very focused to do the first step and to work together.”

And pushed for an answer on Sanchez, the Italian laughed and said: “Yeah, but you’re talking about the transfer market, you have to talk to the sporting director about this topic.”

 

More Related Articles