Conte targets Aston Villa man as he ‘desperately’ looks to improve Tottenham squad

Date published: Wednesday 18th May 2022 3:18 - Jason Soutar

Antonio Conte shouting

Tottenham boss Antonio Conte is reportedly ‘desperate’ to improve his squad and has added Aston Villa’s John McGinn to his summer shortlist.

The north Londoners will finish inside the top four if they avoid defeat at relegated Norwich City on Sunday.


Can Paulo Dybala still be a hero anywhere but Juventus? He should avoid Ronaldo


The return of Champions League football will be a huge pull for Tottenham in the upcoming summer window.

According to The Telegraph, Conte is keen on bringing in ‘up to six’ new faces when the window opens.

One player said to be on the list is Aston Villa and Scotland midfielder McGinn, who has also been linked with Manchester United.

McGinn has been excellent for the Villans since they returned to the Premier League in 2019.

The 27-year-old still has three years left on his current deal with previous reports linking him with United stating that he would cost around £40m.

Spurs are keen on bolstering their midfield after the successful addition of Rodrigo Bentancur. The report adds that Harry Winks ‘could leave’ this summer, meanwhile, Tanguy Ndombele remains out of favour.

January addition Dejan Kulusevski will see his loan turn permanent in the summer, as will Cristian Romero, who signed from Atalanta last year.

Speaking in March, Old Trafford legend Rio Ferdinand said that he would like his former club to sign McGinn or West Ham midfielder Declan Rice.

Ferdinand told his FIVE YouTube channel: “Yeah, massively [be happy with the two signings].

“I think you’re getting two good characters. I think character is one of the main elements that we need – obviously you look for a certain amount of class and quality in the players.

“But I think you need to build the right characters within this squad going forward if you’re going to improve – get the culture right at the football club.”

More Related Articles