A suspension of the Premier League season “of some sort” due to the coronavirus outbreak is considered likely, a source has told the PA news agency.
It follows the news that Arsenal head coach Mikel Arteta and Chelsea forward Callum Hudson-Odoi have contracted the virus.
Three Leicester players are also being tested, while Everton announced on Thursday that the squad was in self-isolation after a player reported symptoms consistent with the virus.
The Premier League is meeting at 10.30 this morning, with clubs set to be represented via videolink.
Reports suggest the Premier League and EFL will announce a suspension of the season initially until the weekend of April 4.
Everton issued a statement ahead of the Premier League meeting.
It read: “Everton Football Club can confirm that, as a precautionary measure, its entire first-team squad and coaching staff are undertaking a period of self-isolation following medical advice.
The step has been taken after a first-team player reported symptoms consistent with coronavirus. The club is in regular contact with the player in question and is monitoring the wellbeing of all players and staff.
The health, welfare and safety of all Everton players, staff and stakeholders is the Club’s absolute priority. Therefore, the Club has taken the decision to close down all Everton workplaces including USM Finch Farm, Goodison Park and its headquarters at the Royal Liver Building in Liverpool City Centre.”
Watford cancelled Thursday’s training session and manager Nigel Pearson says one of his players is awaiting test results after exhibiting symptoms of the virus.
Pearson said: “We’ve had players, as most clubs will have done, who have had symptoms of not being well. We’ve had players experiencing illness this week, who have stayed at home.
“We had somebody with a chest infection, somebody with an upset stomach and players who have shown flu-like symptoms. We’ve got one player awaiting tests results on his symptoms.”
Bournemouth announced five of their employees, including goalkeeper Artur Boruc, were self-isolating having displayed symptoms consistent with the virus.
A statement from the club said: “Goalkeeper Artur Boruc, along with four first-team members of staff, are self-isolating in line with Government and Public Health guidelines. This is a precautionary measure as, at this stage, none have tested positive for coronavirus.
“The club continues to monitor the situation closely and to take suitable measures to ensure the wellbeing of its employees and supporters. Further updates will be provided as necessary via the club’s website and social media channels.”
The F365 Show has so far escaped the wrath of coronavirus. So we’ll be back every Thursday (probably) with more irreverent nonsense intriguing insight. Subscribe here.