De Jong ‘never rejected’ Man Utd, Ten Hag ‘100% convinced’ he will sign ‘next week’

Date published: Saturday 13th August 2022 11:35 - Jason Soutar

Frenkie de Jong during a match

Manchester United are ready to do ‘everything possible’ to sign Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong ‘next week’, according to reports.

It’s time for another De Jong update…


Arteta’s five-year plan explained; Man Utd right to want ‘fantastic’ Rabiot, not ‘overhyped’ De Jong


The Red Devils have agreed a fee with Barcelona for the Dutch midfielder, but have been unable to convince him to move to Manchester.

De Jong wants to stay at Barcelona and play in the Champions League. Furthermore, he is owed between £14-17million in deferred wages and will not leave until he is paid by the Catalan club.

With a move to Old Trafford extremely unlikely, Chelsea have recently registered an interest in the 25-year-old.

The Netherlands international is believed to be willing to join the Blues – if he is paid the money Barcelona owe him – as Thomas Tuchel’s side are in the Champions League and expected to compete for the Premier League title this season.

Despite numerous reports suggesting that De Jong has told Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag that he has no intention of joining the club, Sport now claim this is not the case.

Managing Barca provided three updates from the Spanish newspaper on Saturday morning.

Tweet one read: ‘Manchester United are going with everything possible for Frenkie De Jong & they are 100% convinced of signing him next week.’

Tweet two read: ‘Manchester United say that their financial offer to both FC Barcelona & Frenkie De Jong will be better than that of Chelsea. Total confidence that the player will accept, who never rejected them.’

Tweet three read: ‘Barcelona are convinced of signing Bernardo Silva & Marcos Alonso next week. They have told Frenkie De Jong that he will no longer be a starter & expect him to leave. Then, the club wants to sign a right-back after Dest’s departure.’

This is pretty good reading for Manchester United fans and the fact this is positive news probably means it isn’t true, given how the Red Devils’ summer transfer window has gone so far.

To summarise, United are going to make a big push to sign De Jong before the transfer window closes and are confident as the amount of money they have offered to the player and his club will be more than what Chelsea are willing to offer.

Their pursuit is helped by the Blaugrana’s treatment of the former Ajax midfielder.

Behind the scenes, they are likely pushing the Dutchman out the door, despite Joan Laporta’s comments to the media.

Furthermore, the fact they owe him so much money but have spent over £100m in the transfer window must be pretty infuriating.

While the club’s treatment should convince De Jong that Catalonia is not the place to be, he is, as aforementioned, owed a lot of wonga, and quite rightly wants that money.

Managing Barca also provided an update from Mundo Deportivo journalist Ferran Martinez.

Martinez claims United are preparing a ‘total offensive’ and are ‘confident of completing his signing next week’ after offering De Jong and Barca ‘the best financial offer’.

More Related Articles