Everton told to keep £35m-rated Anthony Gordon amid interest from Newcastle United

Date published: Thursday 7th July 2022 5:54 - Lewis Oldham

Everton warned over Gordon

Everton have been encouraged to keep Anthony Gordon this summer amid reported interest from their Premier League rivals Newcastle United.

The 21-year-old enjoyed a breakout season for his boyhood club last term, playing 40 times across all competitions.

Everton struggled during the 2021/22 campaign as they ended up finishing 16th in the Premier League.


Transfers, fixtures, general ennui: a reason to be miserable for every Premier League club


Gordon was one of their key players as they maintained their top-flight status. He grabbed four goals and two assists in the league.

Everton sold Richarlison to Tottenham Hotspur earlier this window for £60m. Spurs have also shown an interest in Gordon.

This has now cooled but Newcastle United are now in the race to sign the winger. Earlier this week, it was reported that the Magpies would pay £35m for him and that the player is ‘tempted’ by the move.

Simon Jordan was Crystal Palace’s chairman between 2000 and 2010. The 54-year-old is now a regular presenter on talkSPORT. He has advised the Toffees to keep Gordon:

“Gordon is a product of Everton’s academy,” Jordan told talkSPORT.

“He is in the mould of wanting to play for Everton.

“He’s not some player (who is) coming to Everton, doing them a favour, picking up a big paycheck and, when it suits him better, to be leaving. Everton need their best players in the academy, to embody what the fans want to see. That is good young talent coming through.

“The boardroom wants to see a team that isn’t producing outcomes that give (Farhad) Moshiri the look of being a court jester. What they want is a team that’s winning. So Moshiri can sit back and not listen to people tell him how crap he is at running his football club.”

Elsewhere, new Tottenham forward Richarlison has been suspended for one match after he celebrated a goal for his old club Everton last season by throwing a smoke flare.

The 25-year-old, who completed a £60million move to Spurs last week, scored the Toffees’ only goal in a 1-0 win at home to Chelsea on May 1 and reacted to the strike by picking up a flare which was lying on the pitch and throwing it into the stands at Goodison Park.

The Football Association announced on Tuesday he had been banned for one match and fined £25,000 after admitting to improper conduct.

 

More Related Articles