Cesc Fabregas is reportedly taking legal action against Pat Nevin for alleging he was the Chelsea man who said he would “rather lose than win” for Jose Mourinho.
The Daily Mail has reported that Fabregas, 28, has instructed his lawyers to write to the former Blues winger and pundit Nevin alleging defamation.
Nevin, 52, who played almost 200 times for Chelsea made the claim on BBC Radio Four’s Today programme last week.
It follows Today sports presenter Garry Richardson saying on his Sportsweek radio show in November that a senior Chelsea player didn’t care about results under the Portuguese manager.
He alleged he had “information from a Chelsea first-team player” that Mourinho’s relationship with many of his players was “at rock-bottom”.
The “I’d rather lose than win for Mourinho” comments were approached again by Richardson last week with Nevin, who said: “Yeah, that was Cesc Fabregas, wasn’t it?”
Fabregas, whose form has been shocking this season and who was booed in the win over Sunderland at the weekend, has always denied his relationship with Mourinho was turbulent and he was quick to thank the former Real Madrid manager after he was axed last Thursday.
Thank you for all you have done for me. I owe you a lot and we will all miss you. Good luck in the future. pic.twitter.com/RQlOTFrtzU
— Cesc Fàbregas Soler (@cesc4official) December 17, 2015