Gordon told to ‘do one’ as Allardyce picks ‘bargain’ move to Newcastle as signing of the window
Former Premier League manager Sam Allardyce has surprisingly selected Anthony Gordon’s move from Everton to Newcastle as his signing of the winter transfer window.
Gordon joined Newcastle last week after forcing a move out of his boyhood club.
The England Under-21 winger failed to show for training all of last week before the two Premier League clubs agreed a reported £45million fee.
Some were surprised to see Gordon leave Everton for such a high fee, though the Toffees did originally set a £60m asking price.
Everton failed to reinvest the Gordon money in the final days of the transfer window, meaning they were the only top-flight side to not make a single signing in January.
While some have doubted whether or not the young winger is good enough to live up to his hefty price, Allardyce actually thinks Newcastle have got themselves a “bargain”.
Asked on his No Tippy Tappy Football podcast who the signing of the winter window was, ex-Everton and Newcastle boss Allardyce said: “Anthony Gordon, I think, to Newcastle.
“I don’t know how strong that bid was from Chelsea before the window shut in the summer, which was reputed to be £60 or £70million but to let a young man go, forced his own way out to be fair, which I don’t like. An Everton boy, an Everton supporter.
“But you have to get the best you can. I think £45million is short of the real valuation of what we have seen in some of the players who have been transferred this window.
“But great for Newcastle. I’d say it was a bit of a bargain for them.”
Gordon did not play but was introduced to the Magpies fans at half-time of their Carabao Cup semi-final against Southampton on Tuesday.
He stepped onto the pitch during the break to be paraded in front of his new fans alongside fellow new signing Harrison Ashby, and Jonjo Shelvey, who waved goodbye ahead of his move to Nottingham Forest.
While Allardyce is clearly a fan of the player, talkSPORT pundit and former Crystal Palace owner Simon Jordon most certainly is not.
Jordan did not take too kindly to Gordon’s comments after completing his move from Everton.
“It was a really difficult decision and it’s been a really tough week for me,” the 21-year-old said on social media.
“I’ve been at Everton for my whole footballing career so far, so it’s been difficult.
“But this is an opportunity that I couldn’t really miss out on. I didn’t mean to disrespect or offend anyone at Everton.
“And I’m hoping they know that and hopefully they can reinvest the money now and stay in the Premier League.
“I never imagined it or wanted it to go like that, that’s why it’s been such a tough week for me.
“But I just couldn’t miss out on this opportunity and they got a lot of money for me.
“So I’m hoping they can reinvest it into the squad.”
Jordan has slammed Gordon’s comments, saying: “Players going from Everton to Newcastle saying ‘I’m glad I’ve gone so I can give the club back £45million’.
“Do one! You’re only going because it suits you!”
After being cup-tied for the match against Southampton, Gordon could make his Newcastle debut against West Ham on Saturday.
READ MORE: Football White Paper designed to stop Abramovich types but probably won’t