REAL MADRID WANT LLORIS NOT COURTOIS
We’ve heard enough about Thibaut Courtois’ apparent move to Real Madrid that we just sort of assumed that it was happening. Then along comes someone to tip everything upside down.
The Sun have a big exclusive on Wednesday that Real Madrid have turned their attention to signing France’s World Cup-winning captain. And that’s Hugo Lloris.
They say that Real will make a £60m move for Lloris this week, and also add in the completely unverifiable line that the goalkeeper has been ‘speaking to pals about life in La Liga’. Come on now.
One thing is for sure: Tottenham won’t be agreeing to a sale this late in the window and with no hope of signing a replacement except at an exorbitant cost.
BAILEY TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE?
January’s transfer window was dominated by reports that Bayer Leverkusen winger Leon Bailey was coming to the Premier League. Then there were the weird rumours that he was going to be called up to England’s World Cup squad, which also came to nought. Then things went a little quiet.
Now, with two weeks left in the transfer window, Bailey’s name is again being pushed front and centre, presumably by his agent. The Sun tell us that the winger is desperate to move to the Premier League, and that Leverkusen will sell if they can get £40m.
The two clubs mentioned as being interested are Arsenal and Chelsea, but you can surely take Arsenal out of that equation given that they seem to have done their business. Chelsea could work, but only if they move Willian on.
ANOTHER CROP OF MANCHESTER UNITED RUMOURS
The papers are full again of Jose Mourinho explaining why all is not well at Manchester United. He’s downbeat because United face Leicester City and Brighton in their first two matches, and both of those clubs have had easier preseason preparation, apparently. That’s because you have much better players, Jose.Anyway, there have been four Manchester United transfer lines over the last 24 hours:
– Willian is more likely than ever to sign, because Barcelona have completed the signing of Malcom after gazumping Roma. They announced the €41m signing yesterday, and had been considered as the only rivals to Manchester United for Willian.
– Alternatively, United are looking at alternatives to Willian and could make a move for Ante Rebic. That wouldn’t say an awful lot for United’s long-term scouting procedures, given that Rebic has just moved to Eintracht Frankfurt for a fee of €2m. You just watched him on the telly at the World Cup, didn’t you?
– The links to Harry Maguire remain, with most outlets reporting that he is the central defender United are most likely to land before the transfer window closes. We’ll say it again: £65m – bloody hell.
– In the Independent, Miguel Delaney offers an alternative theory. He says that Mourinho is interested in signing Gary Cahill from Chelsea, presumably on a cut-price deal. That would allow the club to go big on a second player before the window closes.
– Finally, reports on Tuesday afternoon said that United were very interested in signing Thiago Alcantara from Bayern Munich. That’s understandable given that Thiago is an excellent player, but United already have Paul Pogba, Fred, Nemanja Matic, Ander Herrera, Jesse Lingard, Marouane Fellaini and Scott McTominay who can play in midfield. Is this really the priority?