Gossip: Man Utd wanted Toon star; Chelsea eye striker alternative

Date published: Friday 15th February 2019 8:19

JUVE PROPOSE SALAH SWAP DEAL
On Tuesday, there were whispers of Juventus’s interest in Mo Salah. It was reckoned then that Juve were willing to pay around £175million for the Liverpool winger. Well, the plot thickens…

Apparently now Juve’s offer for Salah will involve Paulo Dybala and £44million. That’s the good word according to Tuttosport, who go big with the story on their front page on Friday morning.

That would value Dybala at around £132million – make of that what you will. The Argentina star isn’t particularly enjoying living in Cristiano Ronaldo’s shadow, scoring only two goals in 20 Serie A appearances. No wonder the Old Lady fancies a bit of Salah, who is on 17 goals and joint-leader of the race for the Premier League Golden Boot.

 

CHELSEA SCRIMPING ON A STRIKER
Like Juventus, Chelsea need a striker. They signed Gonzalo Higuain on loan from Juve and though they have an agreement in place to make it a permanent deal for £31.8million, ESPN says the Blues already reckon they can get a hefty discount on that figure owing to Juve’s desperation to shift Higuain off their books.

Conveniently, Chelsea have other irons in the fire. Bild says they have already presented to Benfica an offer of just short of £40million for Luka Jovic. The Serbia striker is currently on loan at Eintracht Frankfurt where he’s been on fire, scoring 19 goals in all competitions at a rate of one every 93 minutes. Barcelona are also sniffing, which suggests Benfica will tell Chelsea to come back with a rather more serious proposal.

 

JOSE WANTED TOON DEFENDER
Sacking Jose Mourinho cost Manchester United over £19million but it also saved Ed Woodward from shelling out for a centre-back. The ex-manager made it crystal clear to everyone that he expected defensive reinforcements in January but in his absence, United signed no one in January.

Had Mourinho not been axed, one possible target was Jamaal Lascelles. ESPN says the Newcastle defender was on the list of targets Mourinho would have been happy with and the 25-year-old was seen as more obtainable mid-season compared to the likes of with Milan Skriniar and Kalidou Koulibaly.

The story goes that Koulibaly is seen as a more likely option for the summer, when ‘a commanding centre-half remains a key target for the club’. Just as it was last year. And the season before that. And the season before that too.

 

AND THE REST
Arsenal will make an offer for Bayer Leverkusen playmaker Kai Havertz… Everton, Manchester United and Wolves are interested in Porto winger Yacine Brahimi… Tottenham are set to beat Arsenal to AC Milan former Liverpool star Suso… Son Heung-min is set to be offered another pay-rise to take his weekly wage to £150,000 a week… Laurent Blanc has hired agents to find him a job in the Premier League.

More Related Articles