CONTE TELLS CHELSEA HE WANTS POGBA
The bigger news here is surely that Chelsea are appointing Antonio Conte as their next manager, but doubts about that have been overshadowed by the mention of the words ‘Paul Pogba’.
In the Daily Mail, Kieron Cunningham writes that Conte will target Pogba if he lands the Chelsea gig this summer. His contract as Italy manager is up after the Euros, and the Mail report that Conte has already had talks with Chelsea and will have more soon.
The odds on the next Chelsea manager are interesting, with Massimo Allegri odds on to be in charge on the first day of next season. Conte is next at 7/2, with Diego Simeone available at 20s. Worth a pop?
MOURINHO WILL AXE FELLAINI AND MATA, BUY VARANE
With Wednesday’s back pages talking up Jose Mourinho for the United job, Thursday’s write his name in the space in pencil and then wonder what he’s going to do first.
The Daily Mail aren’t hanging around, reporting that Mourinho will sell both Marouane Fellaini and Juan Mata. One for him, one for supporters. Quite how they know the details of which players will leave is beyond us.
Next we have The Sun, who report that Mourinho will make Raphael Varane his first transfer target. Two days ago, The Sun were telling us that United were leaning towards Mauricio Pochettino as manager. By Thursday, Mourinho is not only United’s ‘boss-in-waiting’ but details of his transfer targets have emerged. Silly.
OTHER JOSE STUFF
Don’t think that the Jose stuff/guff stops there:
– El Confidencial say that Mourinho will earn £15m a season if he becomes United manager, £6m less than Pep Guardiola at City.
– The Daily Star say that Mourinho will be given £300m to spend at Old Trafford. Of course they know the exact figure.
– The Sun say Manchester United’s squad is split over the decision to appoint Mourinho, with many players loyal to Ryan Giggs. Not as loyal to Giggs as The Sun’s writers.
– Finally, the Guardian say that Mourinho would consider a job abroad, as he has still not been approached by United. Which slightly goes against the grain of everything above. Lovely.
LIVERPOOL EYE HERNANDEZ (BULLS**T WARNING)
You know the drill: When ITA Sport Press talk, you listen. Or something like that.
Quite how an Italian sports news agency that we’ve hardly heard of has the exclusive on a Mexican striker playing in Germany and linked with a move to England goodness only knows. Your guess is as good as ours, just so long as your guess is “Well it’s probably a crock of s**t, isn’t it?”
ITA report that Liverpool are interested in Javier Hernandez. Thankfully the story is short enough for us to give you the full translation:
‘Javier Hernandez could return to England. On the 27 year-old Bayer Leverkusen is the interest of Liverpool by Jurgen Klopp . The German manager would want leadership Reds to engage the Mexican striker ownership of Manchester United . On Chicharito, former Real Madrid, there is also the interest of Arsenal and Bayern Monaco, whose next coach, Carlo Ancelotti, knows him well for having had just the time of the Merengues.’
1) Google translate really needs to up its game.
2) The Metro turn this into ‘Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp insists the board seals Javier Hernandez transfer’. We’re not surprised.
3) Are you expecting to report that Bayern will sign Hernandez and us believe you?
AND THE REST
Manchester City have been watching Roma midfielder Leandro Paredes, 21, who has impressed scouts while on loan at Empoli… West Ham’s new striker Emmanuel Emenike remains a target for Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua… Everton defender Phil Jagielka is set to become the latest target for the cash-rich Chinese Super League… Everton boss Roberto Martinez is on the shortlist to replace Roberto Mancini as Inter Milan head coach… Former Leicester City boss Nigel Pearson is due to talk to Derby County about becoming their manager next season.