Transfer insider Fabrizio Romano has reported Rob Holding has chosen to move to Crystal Palace for a £4million fee rather than make a switch to La Liga.
Holding has been a valiant servant for the Gunners since he made the move from Bolton in 2016. However, his performances during their title charge last season suggested he might not be to the standard required to play in big games.
The Englishman started seven games in a row at the back end of the campaign – thanks to an injury to William Saliba – which included a run of four games without a win, swinging the title pendulum in Manchester City’s favour, and of course, the Citizens eventually won the title.
This summer, Arsenal have been said to be ‘open to offers’ for Holding, and Crystal Palace emerged as a leading contender for his signature.
Manager Roy Hodgson confirmed today (September 1) that his Eagles side are interested in securing the services of the defender before the window closes tonight.
An update has since surfaced, and it’s good news for Palace. Indeed, transfer insider Romano reports the transfer is a ‘done deal’ and Holding’s medical at the club is ‘ongoing’.
Arsenal rejected a bid of £2.1million for him from Besiktas earlier in the window – which was said to be ‘way below’ their asking price – and have made more than that in selling to Palace, as Romano reports the deal is worth £4million.
Selhurst Park is seemingly a more attractive destination for Holding than some places across Europe. Reports have mentioned Arsenal received interest from clubs in Spain and Italy, while Romano states the defender preferred the move ‘over La Liga proposals’.
With just a year left on his deal, Arsenal have picked the right time to ship Holding out. For the player, at 27 years of age, he’ll still have a lot of football ahead of him, and he and Palace will hope for a fruitful relationship after the deal is made official before the end of the window.