Midfielder snubs Liverpool for Bayern as Klopp turns attention to £85m-rated Brighton man

Date published: Tuesday 29th November 2022 9:11 - Jason Soutar

Konrad Laimer during a match

Liverpool target Konrad Laimer has reportedly decided to join Bayern Munich when his contract expires in 2023.

Self-proclaimed “Liverpool fan” Laimer was first linked with a move to Anfield last summer.

It has always been the Reds and Bayern in the mix to sign him with his RB Leipzig contract set to expire in less than nine months.

Reds manager Jurgen Klopp decided late on in the summer transfer window that he needed to recruit another midfielder for the 2022-23 season.

Liverpool’s midfield was uncharacteristically being overrun at the beginning of the season, and with injuries piling up, the German signed Juventus’ Arthur Melo on a season-long loan.

Arthur struggled for game time before picking up a long-term injury.

Laimer was one of many midfielders Liverpool were rumoured to be interested in during the summer window.

After opting to stay at Leipzig for the 22-23 campaign, the Premier League club have been working hard to secure a deal on a free transfer at the end of the season.

Unfortunately for them, it looks like he has decided against a move to Anfield.

This is according to Sky Sports journalist Florian Plettenberg, who says the ‘pressing machine’ will sign for Bayern Munich next summer.

There is a ‘verbal agreement’ in place, but no medical has been completed as things stand.

Laimer was heavily ‘desired’ by Bayern, who will offer him a long-term contract lasting until 2027 at the earliest.

The 25-year-old’s move is ‘imminent’ as he ‘only wants’ to reunite with his former Leipzig boss Julian Nagelsmann.

Plettenberg is not the first journalist to claim Laimer has agreed to join Bayern.

Journalist Dean Jones recently claimed that Laimer had planned to “sit on his contract” before joining the Bavarians.

And even more recently, German outlet BILD said the Austrian midfielder has ‘said no’ to Liverpool.

The Reds are expected to sign one or two midfielders next year.

Their top target is believed to be Borussia Dortmund’s Jude Bellingham, who will reportedly cost more than £100million.

Bellingham is currently with England at the World Cup in Qatar and scored his first international goal in last week’s 6-2 win over Iran.

He is one of the most sought-after footballers in the world with Manchester City and Real Madrid also interested. It promises to be a crazy saga.

Another midfielder Plettenberg has said the Reds are keen on is Brighton and Hove Albion sensation Moises Caicedo.

Caicedo is also in Qatar as Ecuador look to secure a spot in the last 16.

He has been absolutely terrific for the Seagulls since breaking into their starting XI in 2021.

A recent report from the Mirror stated that Brighton value the highly-rated Ecuadorian at a staggering £85m.

Writing on Twitter on Monday evening, Plettenberg claimed that Manchester United have ‘entered the race’ to sign Caicedo.

He notes that Liverpool are keen, adding the 21-year-old to their midfield shortlist alongside Bellingham.

Brighton are obviously hoping the player will decide to stay beyond next summer.

Caicedo is apparently one of Brighton’s lowest earners in the first team and could be tempted into a move to a Champions League club.

READ NOW: Onana follows in footsteps of famous five to be sent home from World Cup

More Related Articles