Sadio Mane. Mohamed Salah. Roberto Firmino. Daniel Sturridge. Philippe Coutinho. Adam Lallana. Divock Origi. Dominic Solanke. Heck, even throw in Danny Ings, and Jurgen Klopp is still seemingly not content with his forward line.
In fairness to the Liverpool manager, Thomas Lemar cannot really be pigeonholed as a winger. The France international is as capable a central player as he is a world-class singer-songwriter.
On Monday, it emerged that Liverpool’s interest in the Monaco forward was more than fleeting. The Reds are pushing hard to sign him before Thursday’s transfer deadline after sealing a move for Naby Keita.
By Tuesday, reports are rife over the move. It’s time to sort the chaff from the even worse chaff of transfer speculation.
* Let’s start with Sky Sports, who report that Liverpool have failed with two bids already. Their esteemed sources report that the first offer was of £55.5m, and the second £64.8m. Neither has been accepted.
They add that ‘Monaco want Lemar to stay at the club beyond this summer’s transfer window’. Obviously.
Also, Arsenal had a £30m offer rejected earlier this summer, while Barcelona were interested.
* French newspaper L’Equipe offers a little more insight into the deal. They claim that Liverpool offered 72million euros this weekend, with a bonus of 8m on top. That is £66m up front, with an possible extra £7m bolted on.
Discussions were held between the Reds are Monaco throughout Monday, but with no breakthrough. However, Liverpool have not given up on the deal.
L’Equipe go on to laud Lemar’s performance against Marseille in a 6-1 thrashing at the weekend. They cite his ‘free-kick cavalry’, his ‘magnificent passes deep’ and his defensive work. Jurgen will be impressed.
* Sticking with outlets in France, and Get French Football News claims that Liverpool will need to up their bid drastically to get Monaco to play ball.
They report that ‘if Monaco decide to negotiate with Liverpool, they will be looking for a total deal worth €100m’. So forget £66m bids; a £92m offer will be required.
* According to BBC Sport, Liverpool’s bid for Lemar will indeed be a club record. But they say it is of £60m, and no more.
In fact, they report that ‘no official bid has yet been tabled’, but the Reds are certainly interested.
* Something that absolutely would be hilarious is Tottenham potentially hijacking the deal.
Le10Sport report that while Lemar’s future ‘was thought to have been fully settled’, Liverpool’s path is not clear. They say that ‘another giant of Premier League’ want the winger. And that giant is Tottenham.
While Spurs have been ‘very discreet’, they will make their move ahead of Thursday’s deadline. ‘If it is necessary to put the package for Lemar, it will be done,’ they say.
But the bad news for Tottenham fans is that it will take a ‘mad offer’ to persuade Monaco to do business. Mind you, Daniel Levy sanctioned a mental deal for a France winger on deadline day last summer…