Former Liverpool and England striker Daniel Sturridge has been suspended from all football and football-related activity until the end of June 17, 2020, the Football Association has announced.
The 30-year-old was handed a two-week suspension from football and a £75,000 fine back in June after an independent regulatory commission found he had given his brother inside information on a possible move to Sevilla during the January 2018 transfer window.
At the time, the FA revealed it had appealed against the regulatory commission’s findings as well as the sanctions handed down, believing them to be too lenient.
And an independent appeal board has now found that the regulatory commission misapplied the FA’s rules in relation to the use of inside information and made findings of fact which could not be sustained.
The appeal board has therefore proven two furthers charges and agreed with the FA that the penalty originally imposed on Sturridge was unduly lenient and increased his effective playing ban from two weeks to four months.
His fine has also been doubled to £150,000 and FIFA has confirmed that the suspension will be of worldwide effect.
Sturridge earlier on Monday mutually terminated his contract at Turkish side Trabzonspor, and the forward will not be allowed to participate in any football or football-related activity until June 17.
On the decision, Sturridge told his official YouTube account: “This has been a very long drawn out process over the last couple of years and difficult to concentrate on my football.
“I am going to continue to campaign for professional footballers to be able to speak to their families and close friends freely without the real risk of being charged.
“I feel the betting companies and the process of people placing bets on players moving clubs has to be stopped and although the appeal panel had recognised I hadn’t bet and no one else had bet, I was still charged.
“So it was very disappointing and upsetting for me to hear the news that the appeal panel had overturned the original highly qualified panel’s ruling.
“With that being said, it is devastating for me and I’m absolutely gutted about it. My season is over and I am devastated.”