Liverpool told to sign ‘phenomenal’ Man Utd target in £85m deal that ‘cannot be ruled out’ next year

Date published: Monday 28th November 2022 10:07 - Lewis Oldham

Liverpool-linked Osimhen

Liverpool have been told that they should sign Napoli striker Victor Osimhen in the coming months amid reports linking him with Manchester United.

The 24-year-old forward impressed for Napoli last season as he netted 14 goals in Serie A.

His form led to reports linking him with a move elsewhere. A move to Manchester United was mentioned with a swap deal involving Cristiano Ronaldo said to be a possibility. 

Unsurprisingly, this did not come off with Napoli setting their asking price for Osimhen at a frankly ridiculous £85m.

A fee that high for Osimhen felt too much at the time but the forward has moved to justify that price tag this season.

Napoli have enjoyed a superb start to the 2022/23 season as they sit top of Serie A. Osimhen’s goals have been key as he has scored 11 times in just 14 league outings.

Osimhen came up against Liverpool in the Champions League group stages and Emile Heskey thinks his former club would be wise to sign him from Napoli.

The Reds spent big to sign Darwin Nunez in the summer but Heskey thinks Osimhen is “different” to the former Benfica man.

“He would certainly give them something different to what they have now,” Heskey told Safe Betting Site.

“He’s different to Nunez who can play out wide; Osimhen would be that central goal threat.

“He’s quick, has an eye for goal, and can finish really well with both feet. He’s a top player. I think Napoli paid quite a lot for him, so that’s why he’s commanding a £100m transfer fee.

“I saw him score against Leicester last season in the Europa League and he’s a top striker and would certainly enhance Liverpool’s options in attack without a doubt.

“He’s a phenomenal player, and I think his pace means he would be very much suited to the Premier League.”

Journalist Carlo Gaganese reported last week that a transfer in January involving Osimhen is not possible but a deal next summer should not be ruled out.

“He [Osimhen] was definitely on [Man Utd’s] shortlist again going into the summer but Napoli made it pretty clear straight away that they weren’t interested in selling him,” Garganese told GiveMeSport.

“They lost a lot of players this summer Napoli, massive renewal, it’s gone incredibly well for them. And he was one that they wanted to be part of the next project.

“So, January absolutely not, no chance, zero chance, but next summer, I wouldn’t rule it out.

“I wouldn’t rule it out because Aurelio De Laurentiis has shown that he is the absolute master.

“Napoli’s president is the absolute master at selling one of his big stars for huge, huge money and then somehow finding replacements that are not even that well known and they go on to develop into the big stars themselves.”

READ MORE: Losing their ‘laptop gurus’ hints at deeper problems at Liverpool…

 

More Related Articles