Brighton are ‘not expecting any’ contact from Liverpool over a deal to sign Alexis Mac Allister, says The Athletic’s Andy Naylor.
Fabrizio Romano recently reported that the Reds have sent a proposal to the Argentine’s camp ahead of the summer transfer window.
After ending their interest in Borussia Dortmund midfielder Jude Bellingham, Liverpool have reportedly made Mac Allister their top target.
He is enjoying an outstanding campaign and the general belief is that he will leave the Seagulls at the end of the season.
Manchester United’s defeat to West Ham and Newcastle’s home loss against Arsenal over the weekend has left the door for the top four slightly ajar with Brighton and Liverpool both hoping to swoop in.
Should Brighton qualify for the Champions League ahead of Liverpool, it would be interesting to see if Mac Allister opts against a move to Anfield in favour of another season on the south coast.
That is a big if, but it is quite fun to think about.
Romano has emphasised on several occasions that Mac Allister is certain to leave Brighton at the end of the season.
The Italian journalist has not said a bid has been sent to Albion from the Reds, however.
Romano is not the only journalist out there, though, with some saying this is the case.
Any talk of contact between the two Premier League clubs has been shut down by reputable journalist Andy Naylor.
Writing on Twitter on Sunday, Naylor told Brighton fans to ‘ignore the noise’ amidst reports an offer has been made.
He added: ‘As things stand, there has been no contact between the clubs….and Brighton aren’t expecting any.’
Replying to a follower, Naylor did say a move should not be ruled out and there is a ‘probability’ it will come to fruition.
To say the Seagulls are not expecting any contact from Liverpool is slightly confusing.
Romano has said a move is 100 per cent on the cards, and the player’s father has openly entertained a summer transfer.
Last month, Carlos Mac Allister said: “The talks are just beginning in general.
“But it is most likely that Alexis will already be playing in another team next July.”
Meanwhile, The Athletic’s David Ornstein has confirmed there is a transfer clause in Mac Allister’s Brighton contract.
Discussing the terms of the release clause, Ornstein wrote:
‘It is understood the terms do, indeed, contain a mechanism which can be used to help facilitate a move and that has contributed to the level of interest building to prise Mac Allister from Brighton.
‘This is thought not to be a typical release clause other clubs may simply trigger, leaving the player to choose their next step, but a more complex feature that gives Brighton a say over the outcome.
‘As a result, the situation is not a foregone conclusion and there is no agreement in place for Mac Allister to leave the Amex Stadium. Although that could well materialise — the same applies to team-mate Moises Caicedo — but firm decisions are unlikely to be made until the campaign ends.’