Man Utd ‘launch themselves’ at £16.2m Monaco star to ‘curb’ Barcelona interest

Date published: Friday 19th August 2022 11:30 - Will Ford

Vanderson Monaco

Manchester United are reportedly looking to beat Barcelona to the signing of Monaco full-back Vanderson.

Both United and Barcelona are on the lookout for new options at right-back this summer.


MAILBOX: Why Liverpool could finish out of the top four and feeding the Man Utd beast


The Red Devils are looking to sign competition for Diogo Dalot, who has emerged as the first choice ahead of Aaron Wan-Bissaka at Old Trafford.

Barcelona meanwhile are reportedly willing to part with Sergino Dest, who’s one of the names on United’s shortlist, and are looking at alternatives to Cesar Azpilicueta who was heavily linked with a move to the Nou Camp before committing his future to Chelsea.

Thomas Meunier is reportedly of interest to both Barcelona and United, as is Monaco’s Vanderson, according to Sport (via Sport Witness).

The Brazilian, who only joined Monaco from Gremio for £9.9m in January, signed a new and improved five-year deal with the Ligue 1 side earlier this week, meaning he will likely cost significantly more than his £16.2m valuation.

Barcelona’s sport director Mayeu Alemany has reportedly made contact with Monaco, but it’s also claimed United have ‘launched themselves for the signing of Vanderson’.

It’s said that United officials have asked the French club to keep them updated if Barcelona make moves to sign the 21-year-old.

The Premier League side will ‘improve the transfer price’ if the Catalans make an official offer and the ‘forcefulness shown by United’ will ‘curb’ interest from Barcelona in the full-back – they cannot compete financially with United.

United could face the prospect of making a loss of £40m on Wan-Bissaka this summer as Crystal Palace remain interested in their academy graduate.

It is understood that Palace have ‘held preliminary talks over a possible move’ for the Man Utd right-back, who moved to Old Trafford from Selhurst Park for £50m in 2019.

Wan-Bissaka was a regular for the Red Devils under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer but was more of a rotation option last term as Diogo Dalot was given more game time.

His performances have generally underwhelmed and he has been criticised for his lack of attacking threat over the past three seasons.

The 24-year-old is yet to make an appearance in the first two matches of the Premier League season in which Man Utd have lost both times, against Brighton and Brentford.

The main beneficiary of Wan-Bissaka’s possible exit will be Dalot.

Speaking earlier in the summer, the Portugal international was excited about his future under Ten Hag, he said: “It’s very good. I really like the dynamic that he shows, not just in training but in general.

“Very demanding, pays a lot of attention to detail, which is good, and small details that that can make a difference in the long perspective. I think we players are adapting really well to it and obviously we want to keep going.

“We know that it’s going to be a long season, a different season from pretty much every season that we had in the past few years, so we want to we want to build something.

“We want to build a team together with players, together with staff, build something very good inside in between us and then do our job on the pitch and win games.”

More Related Articles