Man Utd have finally ended their interest in signing Ousmane Dembele from Barcelona after his latest injury setback, according to reports.
Dembele was forced to withdraw from Didier Deschamps’ squad due to an injury picked up in France’s 1-1 draw with Hungary in the Euro 2020 group stage.
The Barcelona man came off the bench for Les Bleus in their second match of the tournament but managed only 30 minutes before being subbed off with a knee injury.
Dembele then missed their last Group F match against Portugal, with the hope that he would be back for the knockout stages.
However, that was not the case as he was ruled out for the rest of the tournament after suffering tendon damage in his right knee.
Barcelona confirmed on Monday that Dembele had undergone “successful” surgery on his knee and will now miss the next four months.
It is another blow in a long list of injury setbacks for the former Borussia Dortmund player with the 24-year-old struggling to make a big impact since his move to the Camp Nou in 2017.
He missed most of the 2019-20 season through injury and is now set for another spell on the sidelines, ending any hopes Barcelona had of offloading him this summer.
And now Spanish journalist Xavi Campos has claimed that Man Utd ‘wanted’ to bring Dembele to Old Trafford this summer until his latest setback.
Campos told Catalunya Radio program Onze that Man Utd were ‘willing to pay around €50m’ but that Dembele’s injury situation has changed their stance.
The Red Devils will now end their interest in Dembele, who could well have been a back-up option for Jadon Sancho anyway.
Reports indicated late last week that Man Utd are closing in on a deal for the Dortmund winger with both sides ‘really close’ to agreeing on the final details of the transfer.
Earlier this month, Rio Ferdinand suggested that his former club had “missed a trick” not signing Sancho when he joined Man City earlier in his career.
Ferdinand said: “I’ve known Jadon through friends of mine, I’ve known his family for a long time and there was always this buzz around him.
“Who is this Sancho kid? It’s a question I was asking my friends in that part of London a few years back and when a special player comes through, word gets out there.
“I remember when he went to Man City, I wondered whether Manchester United had missed a trick by not trying to get him, but the jump from kids football to the next level is not easy and he found that.
“What I liked about his decision to go to Dortmund was the kid was ready to take himself out of his comfort zone.
“At 17, it would have been easy to stay at City or go to a club somewhere else in England, but he had the mentality to leave Man City and try and better himself. He backed himself to succeed in Germany, and it was a big decision for a kid of his age.
“Now we are seeing what Jadon Sancho is all about. He didn’t want to wait to see if he’d get into the City team. He felt he was ready to play at the top level and he went to Germany, so credit to him for taking the step and credit again for making a success of it.”