Man Utd star Cristiano Ronaldo is reportedly “really sorry” about his actions during his side’s win over Tottenham and he is now “100% available”.
Ronaldo’s career at Man Utd looked to be all but over after his latest act of petulance against Tottenham Hotspur.
The forward refused to come on as a substitute during the 2-0 win and he left the bench and walked down the tunnel before the final whistle.
Erik ten Hag rightly punished the forward. He was subsequently made to train away from the first team and he was not considered for selection when United faced Chelsea on Saturday evening.
Ronaldo is now back in contention as it has been confirmed that he is in United’s squad for Thursday’s game in the Europa League against FC Sheriff.
The 37-year-old will be desperate to get some playing time before the World Cup gets underway towards the end of next month.
Fabrizio Romano has now revealed that Ronaldo realised that “it was not the best way to act” and he has since “shook hands” with Ten Hag.
“We know how complicated things got for Cristiano Ronaldo last week. He left Old Trafford early in the Tottenham game, so Erik ten Hag decided he had to be dropped,” Romano wrote for Caught Offside.
“He decided together with the board, and Ronaldo was left out of Ten Hag’s squad for the Chelsea game.
“Cristiano understood it was not the best way to act. It’s important to mention he’s now back in contention for the first-team, we will see him get an opportunity again. He’s 100% available.
“But what happened with his talks with Ten Hag? I’m told they have been in constant, direct contact, and it was positive.
“Ronaldo was really sorry, but also Ten Hag understood the player wanted to be involved more. They spoke about it, they had multiple conversations, and they decided to shake hands and now Ronaldo is back in the United first-team.
“We will now see if Jorge Mendes will continue to try to find a club for Ronaldo in January, but we know it won’t be easy to get such a big deal done in the middle of the season.
“United would also have to find a new striker, and again it’s not easy to find top players in January.
“Overall, I’m told that all the people in Manchester United think that Ten Hag handled this incident very well, board included.”
Should Ronaldo attempt to leave in January, it is unlikely that he will have lots of options.
Sporting Lisbon have ruled themselves out of the running, while according to Romano, Serie A side Napoli “are not in for Ronaldo” either.
“There’s speculation again about Cristiano Ronaldo and Napoli, but I’m told they had some talks in the summer and were interested in signing him on loan.
“Still, it was a complicated negotiation and it was never advanced. Today there are no negotiations, Napoli are not in for Ronaldo, as of today.”
READ MORE: Cristiano Ronaldo… A stunning U-turn and damning Man Utd statistics may prompt Ten Hag ‘regret’