Man Utd star set for Rangnick talks as Sevilla close in on deal

Date published: Wednesday 22nd December 2021 10:19 - Joe Williams

Man Utd boss Ralf Rangnick walks to the dugout

Sevilla are reportedly leading the race to sign Man Utd striker Anthony Martial with Ralf Rangnick planning talks in the coming days.

The Frenchman was impressive during the 2019/20 season at Old Trafford, contributing 17 goals and six assists in the Premier League but it has gone downhill from there for the 26-year-old.

Injury and poor form saw Martial score just four goals last campaign, while he has bagged just one in seven appearances this term for the Red Devils.


Gossip: Real eye Liverpool man, Dembele to Man Utd?


His agent, Philippe Lamboley, told Sky Sports News earlier this month: “Anthony wishes to leave the club in January.

“He just needs to play. He doesn’t want to stay in January and I will speak to the club soon.”

Martial has been linked with moves to Juventus, Barcelona, Lyon and Paris Saint-Germain in recent weeks and now Marca claim that negotiations are ‘progressing’ as Spanish side Sevilla close in on a deal for the striker.

RMC Sport (via Sport Witness) have more, insisting that the La Liga outfit are ‘well placed’ to land Martial in January with the France international set to ‘join a club on loan’.

Martial is ‘attracted’ to the prospect of moving to Sevilla with the Spaniards having ‘positioned’ themselves for a January deal, with the Man Utd man set for ‘significant’ minutes on the pitch at the Ramon Sanchez-Pizjuan Stadium.

With Juventus and Barcelona also rumoured to be in for his signature, Rangnick is ‘expected’ to hold talks with Martial in the coming days.

Meanwhile, former Man Utd right-back Gary Neville recently insisted that now was the right time for Martial to leave the Premier League club.

Neville said on Sky Sports: “I think if they can get good money for him I would. I probably would have said that if they could have got good money for him in the summer, with the players they’ve got then yes I would. I think the time has come.

“I think they’ve always been wary of getting burnt. Of him leaving for £25 million and then going on to become a £100 million player because he is a special talent.

“I just don’t think he’ll ever work at Old Trafford, to the extent they’ve got (Marcus) Rashford, (Mason) Greenwood, (Cristiano) Ronaldo and (Edinson) Cavani, other players as well.

“I just think now is the time for him to leave and go and play regular football. I think it’s the right time.”

 

More Related Articles