Man Utd will not pursue deal for £15m Lukaku replacement

Date published: Thursday 8th August 2019 2:37 - Joe Williams

Manchester United won’t be signing Juventus striker Mario Mandzukic before the transfer deadline, according to reports.

With Romelu Lukaku in Milan for a medical at Inter after the Red Devils accepted a new £73m bid from the Serie A outfitUnited could do with some more firepower.

Sky in Italy claimed this morning said that United were ‘back in talks to sign’ Mandzukic as a replacement for Lukaku after a deal for Paulo Dybala fell through earlier in the week.

A previous report in the Daily Mail said that a deal for Mandzukic would set United back £15m and that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sees the Croatian as ‘the ideal replacement’ for Lukaku.

However, Sky Sports have said on their live blog that ‘United held tentative discussions over the transfer of the 33-year-old Croatian forward but have decided not to pursue the deal any further’.

And Sky Sports News reporter James Cooper said earlier in the day that it was “unlikely” that United would be bringing in any replacements for Lukaku after also being linked with Athletic Bilbao’s Inaki Williams.

 

More Related Articles