Mendes floated €150m Man Utd move in Ronaldo talks

Date published: Monday 13th September 2021 12:14 - Will Ford

Jorge Mendes

Jorge Mendes reportedly brought up the possibility of Ansu Fati moving to Manchester United during Cristiano Ronaldo talks.

The super-agent was said to have set up a €150m move to Old Trafford for the teenager last year, but Barcelona were not interested in the deal.

The 18-year-old’s current contract is up at the end of the season and while the Catalan club believe they have an option of extending the deal for a further two years, Mendes believes the clause is invalid.


MEDIAWATCH: Ronaldo, his poor mum and the traitorous Declan Rice


Not resting on his laurels, Mendes is now offering Fati to a raft of top European clubs, possibly more as a bargaining chip to improve his client’s Barcelona deal, rather than a genuine attempt to find him a new club.

He’s said to have held talks with Manchester City, though Pep Guardiola would rather he didn’t.

The City boss reportedly told director of football Txiki Begiristain not to enter into talks with Mendes as he doesn’t want to exploit his former club.

But Mundo Deportivo (via Sport Witness) claim Fati was also discussed by Mendes as he met with United bosses to iron out the details of Ronaldo’s sensational move to Old Trafford.

Those dicussions are described as ‘something normal’ and Barcelona have made it ‘very clear’ that Fati remains ‘non-transferable’.

Meanwhile, Paul Pogba is now reportedly ‘leaning’ towards staying at United.

The 28-year-old has been in stunning form for the Red Devils so far this season, with his brace of assists in the 4-1 win on Saturday taking his tally to seven in four games.

Pogba is in the final year of his current United deal and there has been no meaningful movement on an extension, with Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid both rumoured to be considering a move this summer.

He will be able to hold talks with prospective suitors in January ahead of a free transfer if his United future isn’t resolved.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and the United board are said to be realistic about the situation and are making contingency plans should the midfielder leave.

But those plans can be shelved and The Athletic now claim Pogba is rethinking his future.

The report states that Cristiano Ronaldo’s ‘homecoming’ has had a big impact on the Frenchman, and his arrival, along with the signings of Raphael Varane and Jadon Sancho, has been enough to convince Pogba to consider a new deal.

 

More Related Articles