Monaco coach rules out ‘major sales’ in January

Date published: Thursday 4th January 2018 3:59

Monaco head coach Leonardo Jardim has ruled out selling any key players this month.

Brazilian defensive midfielder Fabinho is expected to leave in the summer and the attack-minded Thomas Lemar has been linked with several Premier League clubs.

The Ligue 1 outfit have allowed defender Terence Kongolo to join Huddersfield, and midfielder Soualiho Meite has left for Bordeaux, with both players leaving on loan.

But any big-money deals will have to wait, Jardim stressed on Friday, as he underlined his intention to keep the bulk of his squad together.

He said one of his young goalkeepers may be allowed to leave if the chance of first-team football comes up elsewhere, but when asked about other deals he dismissed the prospect of significant departures.

“We are not in the habit of doing major sales of players (in the winter transfer window),” Jardim said.

He said January presented a chance to field some of his emerging players.

Monaco play Yzeure, a team from the fourth tier, in the Coupe de France on Saturday, before tackling Nice in the Coupe de la Ligue next Tuesday. Those games could see younger players given their chance

Jardim said, in a press conference shown on the club’s Twitter feed: “That’s our strategy, more than major sales.”

He said the players “understand” Monaco’s stance.

Monaco sit second in Ligue 1 as they defend the title they won last year, and are nine points behind leaders Paris St Germain.

A host of summer departures followed their championship-winning season, as Tiemoue Bakayoko joined Chelsea and Benjamin Mendy and Bernardo Silva moved to Manchester City.

Striker Kylian Mbappe left for Paris St Germain, in a loan move that is set to be made permanent at the end of the season.


More Related Articles