Pogba demands improvement from faltering Man Utd

Date published: Sunday 31st December 2017 3:28

Paul Pogba has called on Manchester United to ”wake up” after a third consecutive draw saw them slip further out of the Premier League title race.

Draws against Leicester and Burnley either side of Christmas severely undermined United’s status as challengers to Manchester City but Saturday’s 0-0 shutout at home to Southampton means they are now sitting third in the standings.

The problems are racking up for manager Jose Mourinho, with Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s knee problem keeping him out for a month and Romelu Lukaku taken off on a stretcher after a nasty clash of heads with Wesley Hoedt.

The Football Association has also decided to take action against Ashley Young after footage emerged of the player apparently elbowing Dusan Tadic in the stomach during the Southampton match.

Everton await on New Year’s Day and Pogba has demanded better from his side, despite the short turnaround.

”We didn’t lose but we have to wake up, bounce back and get back to winning,” the Frenchman told MUTV.

”We drew again. Three draws, we have to win, something has to change and we have to change to win.

”It’s only one day and then we have to play against Everton – that’s football. Tomorrow’s another day and we have to go out there and win.”

On the injury to 14-goal top-scorer Lukaku, Pogba said: ”When we have Romelu, he makes it difficult for defenders and creates so much space as well. He’s a big miss for us but we have the team to fill the gap of Romelu.”

Medical staff took every precaution in treating a potentially concerning head injury, placing the Belgian on a stretcher and fitting an oxygen mask.

By full-time Mourinho was confident the worst-case scenarios had been ruled out and was instead predicting a two-match lay-off for the forward.

As for Young, who has been one of United’s most consistent performers this term, the possibility of a three-match ban lingers.

That is the tariff handed to Burnley defender James Tarkowski earlier this month after he admitted a charge of violent conduct for elbowing Brighton striker Glenn Murray.

An FA statement read: “Young’s charge follows an incident during Saturday’s game against Southampton which was not seen by the match officials but caught on video. He has until 5pm today (31/12/17) to respond.”


More Related Articles