Rafa knew ‘weeks ago’ Newcastle takeover wouldn’t go through

Date published: Friday 19th January 2018 3:28

Rafael Benitez says he was well aware that the proposed takeover of Newcastle would not be completed in time for the January transfer window.

The Magpies have found themselves engulfed in claim and counter-claim following the apparent collapse of Amanda Staveley’s proposed takeover.

In an interview with the Times, Staveley insisted her bid for the club remains on the table, and described suggestions from the Mike Ashley camp that her PCP Capital Partners group were time-wasters as “hugely hurtful”.

Benitez, though, says his priority is ensuring the club sign “three or four players” before the January 31 deadline.

“I knew three or four weeks ago when I was talking with Mike Ashley,” said Benitez. “He told me that the takeover will not go through [this month].

“So, for me, this has changed nothing.

“Since then, we have been working on our targets in the transfer window.

“It’s not an issue because if we have three or four names – and the club has the names – it’s just to be sure we go through, we sign the players.

“In terms of the transfer window, we have targets, we have names and we are trying to progress.”


More Related Articles