Rangnick reveals Man Utd star’s ‘understandable’ transfer request

Date published: Monday 27th December 2021 8:31 - News Desk

Man Utd striker Anthony Martial carries the ball

Ralf Rangnick has confirmed that Anthony Martial has told Man Utd that he wants to leave the club in the January transfer window.

The France forward has become a fringe figure at Old Trafford, making just two Premier League starts this season and only four in all competitions.

“We spoke at length on Wednesday,” said interim Man Utd manager Rangnick, revealing the 26-year-old’s desire to quit Old Trafford next month.


Wirtz could snap the Bundesliga curse at Manchester United


“He explained to me he’s been at Manchester United now for the last seven years and he feels it’s the right time for a change, to go somewhere else.

“I think in a way this is understandable, I could follow his thoughts but on the other hand, it’s also important to see the situation of the club.

“We have Covid times, we have three competitions in which we still have high ambitions and want to be as successful as we can be.”

Martial became the world’s most expensive teenage footballer when Man Utd signed him from Monaco in September 2015.

The £36m fee, potentially rising to £58m, made him the Red Devils’ third most expensive signing at the time after Angel Di Maria and Juan Mata.

Martial made a memorable debut, coming off the bench to score a superb solo goal against Liverpool, and has gone on to score 79 goals in 268 appearances.

But he has fallen down the pecking order of Man Utd forwards following the arrivals of Cristiano Ronaldo, Edinson Cavani and Jadon Sancho and the emergence of youngster Mason Greenwood.

Rangnick confirmed there has been no interest in the France international ahead of the January transfer window and he could stay at Man Utd.

He said: “I told him listen, as long as there is no club showing interest in him, and it should not only be in the interest of the player it should also be in the interest of the club.

“So far, as far as I know, there has been no offer from any other club and as long as this is the case he will stay.”

 

More Related Articles