Anxious Jimenez wait after ‘code red’ clash of heads

Wolves were anxiously awaiting the results of a scan on a head injury suffered by Raul Jimenez early on in their Premier League win at Arsenal on Sunday.

The 2-1 victory at the Emirates Stadium was the first time Wolves had won against the Gunners away from home in 41 years – but the game was overshadowed by an early scare for Jimenez.

The Mexico forward was involved in a sickening clash of heads with David Luiz and was taken to hospital having received 10 minutes of treatment on the pitch.

While his team-mates were clearly shaken by the events, they rallied to win as Pedro Neto and Daniel Podence struck either side of a Gabriel Magalhaes header to earn a deserved victory.

After the game Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo confirmed Jimenez was conscious and responding to treatment – while Arsenal were left to defend leaving Luiz on until half-time.

Asked about his side’s reaction to the incident, Santo replied: “Amazing. I’m very proud today. This team showed heart today – a belief in the way they ran and worked was very good to see.”

Wolves confirmed on Twitter that the Mexico striker had undergone scans at a London hospital as Santo explained how he felt at the time the injury occurred.

“You start hearing code red. It’s serious,” he told Sky Sports.

“It was a bad moment for everybody. You see panic in their (medical staff) eyes and you start thinking how is he? We are worried.

“He is being assessed now. He is in good hands. It is serious, it was a big impact but he is aware.

“If I am allowed (to visit him in hospital) I wish but as I said before he is in good hands, he is being taken care of.”

Luiz came off the better of the two after the fifth-minute clash but was bandaged up and bleeding.

He was replaced at half-time by Rob Holding and manager Mikel Arteta explained that Luiz had passed all the protocols to allow him to continue but that he was withdrawn at the interval as he “wasn’t comfortable heading the ball”.