Report: Newcastle takeover talks at an impasse over price

Date published: Saturday 30th December 2017 12:46

Mike Ashley and Amanda Staveley have reportedly hit a £50million wall which threatens the takeover of Newcastle United.

Toon owner Ashley appeared to be close to agreeing a deal to sell the Magpies to Staveley earlier this month.

However, the two parties are said to be at an impasse over the sale price — with Ashley refusing to sell for less than £300m and Staveley yet to bid more than £250m.

Now there are fears the takeover could be dead if neither side gives ground — with Staveley also wanting clauses written in to the deal covering relegation, according to the report in the Daily Mirror.

Staveley is keen to keep boss Rafael Benitez but is also worried that he could go at the end of the season if a deal is not done by then.

Ashley met Yorkshirewoman Staveley, who runs private equity fund PCP Capital Partners, for talks at the start of December when both parties were keen to get a deal over the line.

Staveley was also said to be willing to refund Ashley any money spent on new signings next month.

However, for that to happen an agreement in principle would have to be in place.

Talks, though, have advanced no further, with holidaying Ashley confident he will get other offers for the club.


More Related Articles