Richard Keys defends Sky Sports sexism axe, slams ‘hero’ Carragher

Date published: Tuesday 19th November 2019 9:01

Richard Keys has defended his “sexist” behaviour that led to his Sky Sports departure and launched an attack on Jamie Carragher.

Keys departed Sky in 2011 alongside Andy Gray after being heard discussing the appointment of Sian Massey-Ellis as a Premier League Official, stating ‘women don’t know the offside rule’.

In another clip, presenter Keys asked Jamie Redknapp if he “smashed it”, in reference to an ex-girlfriend.

Keys has previously described his axing from Sky as “one of the biggest carve ups in TV history”.

And while Keys accepts his conduct was sexist, but claims the “boisterous” atmosphere of the studio condoned his actions.

“Was it sexist? Looking at it now, yes it was. Was it disrespectful? Yes, it was. Was it said in a public arena? No,” he told the Athletic.

“Should a mobile phone been recording our studio that day? A studio is like a football dressing room, it’s a boisterous place.

“No different happened in that studio than did in any dressing room that morning anywhere in the UK.”

Keys went on to hit out at Sky over their decision to retain Liverpool legend Carragher as one of their pundits.

In March 2018, footage emerged of Carragher spitting at a football fan and his daughter from his car window.

He was suspended until the end of that season but has since returned as one of their leading pundits.

Keys added: “Look at the things that have happened. I didn’t go downstairs to the dressing room door, knock on it and spit in her face.

“And yet the guy that committed a criminal offence in a public arena, spitting in the face of a 14-year-old girl, was later welcomed back by Sky as a hero,” says Keys.

“Now, come on. Are there any similarities? I don’t think so.”

 

More Related Articles