Former Manchester City defender Micah Richards named a Manchester United pair and Liverpool star Andrew Robertson among his top ten Premier League bargain buys.
FEATURE: Champions League winners and losers
The Sky Sports pundit put Robertson in tenth place, Everton captain Seamus Coleman in ninth, but reserved the top spot for United legend Eric Cantona.
“He was a great buy,” Richards said of Robertson.
“I remember watching him in the 2016 Championship play-off final for Hull and you could tell he was going to be a top player.
“I always look at full-backs and whether they can defend or attack, and he can do both. He can press and read the game well – he can absolutely do everything.”
Coleman moved to Everton from Sligo Rovers for just £60,000 in 2009 and has gone o to make 342 appearances for the Toffees.
“He [Coleman] should probably be further down the list but he hasn’t won anything,” Richards said.
“I like my bargains to win something. In terms of consistency of performance, he is right up there, but he doesn’t get the assists that Trent Alexander-Arnold or Andy Robertson get, so that’s why he wouldn’t be further down my list.”
But there was only ever going to be one winner for Richards, who remembers kids emulating the “iconic” Frenchman Cantona.
“He just has to be number one – £1.2m for him? I just loved him,” Richards said.
“He is just the man and is so iconic. Growing up as a kid everyone used to have their collar turned up, thinking they were him. He’s got everything.
“He just edged out Vardy for me because of the number of trophies that he won, and the song may have helped.”
Richards’ full list:
10) Andy Robertson (Hull City to Liverpool – £8m)
9) Seamus Coleman (Sligo Rovers to Everton – £60,000)
8) Lucas Radebe (Kaizer Chiefs to Leeds United – £250,000)
7) Paolo di Canio (Sheffield Wednesday to West Ham – £1.5m)
6) Riyad Mahrez (Le Havre to Leicester – £400,000)
5) Robin van Persie (Feyenoord to Arsenal – £2.75m)
4) Kolo Toure (ASEC Mimosas to Arsenal – £150,000)
3) Peter Schmeichel (Brondby to Manchester United – £505,000)
2) Jamie Vardy (Fleetwood to Leicester – £1m)
1) Eric Cantona (Leeds United to Manchester United – £1.2m)