Rose on controversial interview: ‘I regret nothing’

Date published: Wednesday 16th May 2018 9:14

Danny Rose insists he still has no regrets over the controversial interview he took part in last summer.

Rose came in for criticism last summer when he made vocal his wish to “play up north” before retiring.

The left-back was also at pains to recommend Tottenham sign “well-known players” going forward, “not players you have to Google and say, ‘Who’s that?'”.

Rose was fined two weeks’ wages as a result of the interview, but does not look back on it with “regret”.

“It happened 10 months ago,” Rose said. “I regret nothing, I didn’t tell any lies.

“But there’s no point talking about it. I like to think everyone has moved on. I’m here and I’m looking forward to coming back to pre-season, and hopefully me and Ben [Davies] can start fresh and fight for the No. 1 position. I fancy myself against anybody in the league.”

Pochettino echoed similar sentiments earlier this month when telling the club they must “take risks” going forward.

“I’ve learned my lesson speaking about that sort of stuff,” said Rose when asked for his opinion. “But it’s good that the manager has come out and said that. I hope the manager, his coaching staff, the recruitment staff and the chairman can all come together and give the manager what he wants.

“I’m fully behind whatever happens in the off-season. I hope we get some good recruits to help us push on. As the manager said, the next step now is to hopefully win something next year.

“Finishing third is another great achievement. The manager gave a speech after the Newcastle game [last Wednesday] and said we need to realise what an achievement we’ve done this season, playing 38 games away from home. We should be proud of what we’ve done this season, and in the past three years as well.”

 


More Related Articles