Sancho unlikely to return to Man City under me – Guardiola

Date published: Friday 19th October 2018 2:36

Pep Guardiola feels Jadon Sancho is unlikely to return to Manchester City while he is manager.

Sancho, 18, shone on his England debut against Croatia last week having made big strides since leaving City for Borussia Dortmund last year.

His emergence has seen him linked with a big-money move back to a Premier League club but, having decided to quit City, Guardiola would not expect him back at the Etihad Stadium.

The City manager said: “I don’t know, in football you never say ‘no’, but I don’t know. I think when he decided to move on from here it is because he doesn’t want to be here. When he doesn’t want to be here I think he’s not looking forward to coming back here.

“That is what I think right now. Maybe in the future – new club, new managers – but I don’t know.”

Sancho left City in an £8million deal. City are thought to have negotiated a first-refusal option with Dortmund on the player should they be willing to match a bid from another club.

Losing the highly-rated Sancho last year was considered a huge blow to the club’s much-vaunted Academy, but Guardiola does not feel his departure should give cause for concern.

He said: “We know what we have done with Jadon. We did absolutely everything and he decided to move on to Germany so ‘all the best’. He’s doing really well.

“He’s started his career and hopefully he can achieve what he was looking for. It’s a good sign for England that players are going there because it’s important for the future. I’m glad he’s playing well.”

 


More Related Articles