Sporting Lisbon president Bruno de Carvalho has announced he will quit the crisis-hit club after supporters voted for the board to go on Saturday night.
A ballot at the club’s general assembly on Saturday evening saw 71 per cent of fans call for the board’s exit versus 29 per cent saying they should stay, according to a statement from the club.
The vote comes after nine players quit the club following an attack by fans in May.
De Carvalho wrote an angry response on his Facebook page, calling the ballot a “fraud” and saying he feels he could have successfully challenged the results if he wanted to.
“I will never again attend the sports events of the club,” he said. “I no longer want to be part of a group of cretins who are not worth the air they breathe.”
Sporting have been plunged into crisis in recent weeks with nine players, including four members of the Portugal squad playing at the World Cup, writing to terminate their contracts with the club.
The group includes Portugal internationals Rui Patricio, William Carvalho, Gelson Martins and Bruno Fernandes, as well as Ruben Ribeiro, Bas Dost, Daniel Podence, Rafael Leao and Rodrigo Battaglia.
Goalkeeper Patricio has already signed for Wolves on a free transfer, while Carvalho, Martins and Dost have all been linked with Premier League clubs.
Manchester City have reportedly made a move for Leao, but are said to want to negotiate a fee for the 19-year-old to avoid a legal challenge down the line.
The players wrote to terminate their contracts citing ‘just cause’ after an attack by supporters at the club’s training ground in May after they missed out on a Champions League place on the last day of the season.
De Carvalho had been suspended by a club committee last week but refused to stand down until Saturday’s vote.
The club said a vote to elect a new board would take place on September 8.