Spurs boss Mourinho rules out move for £85m Eriksen replacement

Date published: Tuesday 3rd December 2019 9:15

Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho has ruled out the prospect of signing of Sporting Lisbon midfielder Bruno Fernandes in January.

Reports over the summer claimed that Spurs had agreed personal terms with the Portugal playmaker following a campaign in which he scored 20 goals and laid on 13 assists.

However, it was confirmed last week that Fernandes had signed a new four-year contract at Sporting, who he joined from Sampdoria in 2017, which included an updated £85m release clause.

Speaking on the subject of Fernandes, Mourinho told Sport TV: “We are different club at this level.

“We are not a club that is going to make big transfers in the market, nor is it going towards players who are already developed or at a certain level of expectation, also economically.

“I would definitely say no because Bruno (Fernandes) is a player of a level and value that is not for us.”

The news is somewhat of a surprise given that Spurs are in the market for midfield reinforcements due to the impending exit of Christian Eriksen, who has reportedly told Mourinho that he will leave on a free when his contract runs out next summer.

 

More Related Articles