Erik ten Hag has reportedly already told one Man Utd player to ‘find a new club’ as a ‘brutal eight-player clear-out’ is beginning ahead of the summer.
The Dutchman has done a great job since he replaced Ralf Rangnick ahead of this season.
Ten Hag has already ended United’s trophy drought as they lifted the Carabao Cup earlier this season. They also remain in contention for the Europa League and FA Cup.
It has not been easy for the ex-Ajax boss as he had to deal with Cristiano Ronaldo’s petulance earlier this season before the forward left Man Utd by mutual consent.
United were a shambles last season but Ten Hag has managed to get much more out of this current squad than the previous regime.
Despite this, a squad overhaul is expected this summer, with Football Insider reporting that as many as eight players are likely to leave.
Ten Hag has reportedly started by telling defender Axel Tuanzebe that he is ‘free to find a new club’ before his contract expires in June.
He has been unable to fully establish himself at Man Utd and he is currently on loan at Championship side Stoke City.
The ‘brutal clear-out’ is set to continue, with the report claiming Anthony Martial, Donny Van de Beek, Scott McTominay, Dean Henderson, Brandon Williams and Harry Maguire will be ‘put up for sale’.
This is while David De Gea is ‘yet to agree an extension to his expiring contract’. The goalkeeper recently indicated that he is “really happy” at United.
“I’ve been here many, many years, enjoying every moment in this club playing many games,” De Gea told Sky Sports.
“Of course, it’s great to be here, it’s a massive club and I love the club and I’m really happy here, of course.
“It’s been the same over the years, there’s a lot of noise around the club but players just focus on games, especially the one we have on Sunday – a massive game for us because we want to finish in the top four.
“Like I say, we have many, many games so I think we have to be really, really caring on training, recovering well, helping the team and that’s the most important thing, more than contracts or anything.”
The report from Football Insider adds ‘loan star Wout Weghorst is not expected to sign a permanent deal at Old Trafford after scoring two goals in 18 appearances’.
The departure of Ronaldo ‘raised transfer funds’. ‘A marquee striker remains a priority – with Tottenham’s Harry Kane, Napoli ace Victor Osimhen and Benfica star Goncalo Ramos all believed to be on the shortlist’.