Tottenham switch targets as James chooses Fulham; winger ‘trapped’ at Spurs

Date published: Thursday 1st September 2022 3:10 - Joe Williams

Tottenham target Gelson Martins kicks the ball

Premier League side Tottenham will have to bring in another attacker before Bryan Gil is allowed to leave for Valencia, according to reports.

Spurs have been very busy in the transfer market so far with Richarlison, Yves Bissouma, Destiny Udogie, Djed Spence, Ivan Perisic, Fraser Forster and Clement Lenglet making up their seven summer signings.

But there could be room for more deals a deal for a new attacker on the cards as they look to find cover for Gil, who could go out on loan before the transfer deadline.


F365 transfer deadline day blog: Follow all the latest gossip and done deals right here…


There were reports on Wednesday that Tottenham had an interest in bringing Leeds United winger Dan James to north London but transfer expert Fabrizio Romano soon poured cold water on those rumours.

Instead, fellow Premier League side Fulham ‘are closing on’ a deal of James with the ‘final details discussed right now’ about a pending loan agreement.

And now Sky Sports insist that Tottenham are about to switch targets with Monaco winger Gelson Martins ‘one of the names under discussion’ in the Spurs boardroom.

Martins is said to be ‘keen to come to the Premier League’ after ‘Fabio Paratici and Antonio Conte are said to have met to consider their other options in the market this morning’.

Sky Sports adds that Gil is ‘still waiting for Spurs to bring in a replacement for him before he can join Valencia on loan.’

And Spanish outlet Super Deporte claim that Gil is ‘trapped’ at Tottenham until they sort a new player but the Spanish side ‘will reactivate’ their interest in the Spurs winger ahead of the deadline.

They will continue attempts to sign Gil in the ‘last few hours’ of the window despite it proving ‘very difficult to change Tottenham’s mind’.

Sergio Reguilon is one player who has managed to leave Tottenham this summer with Atletico Madrid securing a season-long loan deal earlier this week.

And former Liverpool and Newcastle United defender Jose Enrique thinks Reguilon will be a success on his return to Spain, he tweeted: “Great deal this one for Atlético de Madrid he is a really good left back.”

 

More Related Articles