Tottenham vs Rennes postponed due to Covid-19 cases

News Desk
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

Tottenham’s Europa Conference League game at home to Rennes on Thursday has been postponed following several positive Covid-19 cases at the club.

Spurs boss Antonio Conte revealed earlier on Wednesday eight players and five members of staff had tested positive for coronavirus and said the outbreak has left everyone scared and worried for their families.


Enter taxman: Derby liquidation talk is very real indeed


A club statement said: “We can confirm that our UEFA Europa Conference League Group G home fixture against Stade Rennais will not take place tomorrow (Thursday 9 December at 8pm UK) after a number of positive Covid-19 cases at the club.

“Discussions are ongoing with UEFA and we shall provide a further update on this fixture in due course.

“Additionally, following discussions with the Health Security Agency (formerly Public Health England) and DCMS advisers, the club has been advised to close the first team area of its training centre at this time, in the interests of the health and safety of players and staff. All other areas of the training centre remain operational.”

On Wednesday, Conte said: “Every day we are having people with Covid, people who were not positive yesterday. This is not a good situation.”

Conte was supposed to be joined by Spurs’ Danish midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg at the pre-match press conference, but instead faced the media on his own.

The Italian said: “To speak about football today is impossible. The last situation made me very upset.

“The situation is serious. There is a big infection.

“We prepare for the game against Rennes, but it is very difficult.

“Again at the end of the session, one player (tested) positive, another staff (member) positive – tomorrow, who (will it be)?

“Now, for sure, we are a bit scared because tomorrow we don’t know what happens.”

An emotional Conte admitted the situation was “so strange and incredible”.