Tottenham’s interest is fading in Real Sociedad striker Willian Jose after a bid was rejected, according to reports.
Spurs boss Jose Mourinho is said to have identified the 28-year-old as his main transfer target in the January window and, when the player told Sociedad that he wanted to leave the club last week, a deal looked likely.
Now though any prospective deal for the Brazilian striker looks to be waning, despite the player, once again, asking to be left out of the Real squad that played Mallorca on Sunday.
The source cite that the deal is hard to complete after Spurs had an offer for the player rejected last week.
Real Sociedad are believed to have to give a weighty part of the fee to the player’s representatives and are, therefore keen not to give Spurs too much of a discount.
Jose has a release clause in his contract, believed to be €70m (£58.8m), but Sociedad are aware they are not going to get anywhere near that for a player who has scored eight goals in 20 La Liga games this season.
The Daily Star has claimed Spurs chief Daniel Levy has reportedly made an offer of £10m with Sociedad holding out for £21m and that may well be the major “complication” in the deal.
AS reported last Wednesday that Jose was heading for London for a medical with Tottenham, and although they may well have jumped the gun, Spurs were believed to be very interested and hopeful of striking a deal for the forward.
It could well leave the player in a difficult position in San Sebastian with Jose’s replacement Alexander Isak impressing with two goals in two games.
Marca claim Real with 20-year-old Isak leading the line, impressed in a 3-0 win over Mallorca on Sunday, and he may have to go cap in hand back to the club if his desired move to Spurs does not materialise.